Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Surf Fishing with Tenkara?

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

Surf Fishing with Tenkara?

Postby grampa » Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:10 pm

Has anyone out there taken Tenkara to the surf, particularly on the West coast? I've been fishing trout via Tenkara for several years in mountain streams, but the mountain streams are 2+ hours away, while the beach is only 30 minutes from home here in SoCal.

I'm thinking that a heavier Tenkara rod might be suitable for surf perch, croakers, corbina, etc, but would love to get some instruction from someone who has already done it.

Anyone?
grampa

Re: Surf Fishing with Tenkara?

Postby rsetina » Thu Aug 11, 2016 10:34 pm

I haven't fished the surf with my Yamame but I thought about it. I'm in SoCal too and have fished the surf in the past. Carpenteria, Santa Claus Lane, Malibu, and north of Santa Monica. Where do you fish the surf?
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Re: Surf Fishing with Tenkara?

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:53 pm

We visited Anchor Pt. Lodge on Shelter Island outside Juneau, AK in early June for halibut and black cod fishing. The fishing lodge provided spinning tackle for anyone who wanted to spin cast from shore in front of the lodge. There were Dolly Varden trout up to 2 pounds all along the shore. Mostly under one pound... (it was too early for any salmon).

I used my Tenkara rods and small streamer flys. Silver seemed to work best. Had a ball. Didn't even have to get my feet wet. Most of the strikes were less than 10 or 15 feet from shore.

If you did keep any fish... the lodge provided a mesh bag... you had to stand on the bag while fishing or the eagles would steal your fish. LOL. It was interesting standing there fishing and several eagles standing around a few feet away waiting for a handout.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff