Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Fly Pattern Info

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

Tenkara Fly Pattern Info

Postby mcpenttila » Tue Jun 23, 2009 6:52 pm

Couple thoughts...

One would be a place on the forum for the Tenkara Fly Patterns and How to tie them?

Or info on a site in English that shows how to tie the Tenkara Flies?

Or film footage of tying the simple flies that Dr. Ishigaki demonstrated, or a good picture of one of those flies close up?

Just a thought....
Fly Fishing New England and eventually the World.
mcpenttila

Re: Tenkara Fly Pattern Info

Postby Wupperfischer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:49 am

Wupperfischer

Postby CM_Stewart » Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:11 pm

The best close up photo of Dr. Ishigaki's flies I've seen is here:

http://eclecticguy.com/2009/05/29/dr-is ... ra-fl3ies/

I don't think Michael has done a step-by-step yet, but the fly is a snap to tie.

Hook: Standard size 12 hook, either dry or wet fly hook
Thread: Whatever you have on hand, even sewing thread
Hackle: Brown, dun or grizzly rooster hackle

Start the thread at the hook eye. Tie in hackle feather, winding the thread back about 3/16" from the eye to trap the hackle stem. Lift the hackle and make a few wraps of thread behind the hackle (toward the hook bend). Wrap 5 turns of hackle and tie off with thread. Wrap thread forward just enough to give the hackle a slight forward slant and then back to bend. If I recall, Dr. Ishigaki wrapped two or three layers of thread to build up the head before wrapping the hackle and two or three layers on the body after wrapping the hackle, but he tied off the thread near the bend. Tying off near the bend assures that you don't get head cement in the eye or on the hackle.
CM_Stewart

Postby mhackney » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:05 pm

Hey all, I've just posted the recipe for the flies Dr. Ishigaki gave me and described to me. He basically said he uses the cheapest thread he can find! He thinks it works the best. He also only fishes with these flies. I've been following suit and have had great success. I primarily chase native wild Brook Trout in my native New England streams. They seem to like the smaller size 14 flies the best.

Here is the recipe http://eclecticguy.com/2009/06/25/tying-the-simple-tenkara-fly/.

Cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Postby pszy22 » Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:56 pm

Folks,

I've been trout fishing "tenkara" style for the last 10 or 12 years. I just didn't know it. I will tell you it has been very effective and served me well.

I have been fishing with a short line, I only use two very impressionistic patterns, I do change size and color as the season progresses.

The one tip I wanted to pass along, as you tie some of these flies, try using #2 or even #3 grade dry fly necks. Typically the lower grade necks have a thicker, slightly softer hackle barb. I like those in that it allows one to more easily switch from a dry to a damp, to a swinging presentation from cast to cast (sometimes actually combining presentation on the same cast).

The other reason I like them is that I think they provide a better silhouette. Of course the fact that they are a whole lot cheaper doesn't hurt either. Don't hesitate to buy variant necks with odds splotches of color in them if you get a good deal. I think they might work better than a truer colored neck. It's actually tough to find these any more from the larger breeders, they have their genetics pretty well down pat. Sometimes you can find them from smaller, local breeders.
pszy22

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff