Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Field Repair Your Tip and Lillian

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

Field Repair Your Tip and Lillian

Postby GregM » Thu Nov 01, 2012 7:03 pm

I broke the tip off of my Amago, the result, I suspect, of too many impacts by beadheads.
I lost only 13 mm of tip, and about 7 mm of lillian, which left me with plenty of lillian to work with.

Insert the tip section into the 2nd section before you do your final work. Depending on a number of factors, the final tip/lillian/glue may be too large to slide in from the bottom. Having the tip in the 2nd section also provides some protection and support as you work.

> Using an emery board I squared the tip and gave it a very small bevel.
> I trimmed the remaining lillan sqaure and clean and slid it over the tip.
> I gently heated the lillian to shrink it into place around the tip to reduce the overall diameter.

When the lillian is slid over the tip it expands a bit. Unless you heat shrink it the total diameter will be too large to slide through the 2nd section. Depending on the length of the break, it might not slide through whether you shrink it or not. (I have no clue what 30# backing would do.)

If you do shrink the lillian, make sure the end is "fuzz-free", and avoid overheating the end, as it will create a shoulder. I had to sand mine down to get it to slide into the 2nd section. It is not difficult to do, but you have to take care to not sand/fray the adjacent lillian.

> Last, I applied fast-set non-gel superglue, letting the glue capillary through the lillan to the tip.

Keep the lillian straight off the end of the tip. If it sets up with a bend as it leaves the tip it will not slide through the 2nd section. I laid the tip on a flat surface and gently rolled it as the superglue set, straightening as needed.

The result looks as good as the original. Time will tell about ultimate durability.

I also assembled a "Field Repair Kit" – A "single use" tube of superglue. A cut down emery board to square and bevel the tip. And a single edge razor blade for trimming the lillian. It fits easily into a 2"x3" ziplock, and will live in the waterproof pocket of my waders.
Attachments
FieldRepair.jpg
FieldRepair.jpg (21.94 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
GregM

Re: Field Repair Your Tip and Lillian

Postby tsegelke » Thu Nov 01, 2012 8:35 pm

That is a good idea for long trips out into the woods. It should keep us fishing until the replacement arrives.

Thanks
tsegelke

Re: Field Repair Your Tip and Lillian

Postby GregM » Fri Feb 08, 2013 12:12 pm

I just realized that you can trim the lillian with your nippers.

So all you need is super glue and an emery board. The emery board IS critical to getting the stub cleaned up. Otherwise, over time, the jagged edge will cut through the lillian.

But if you have a nail file on your swiss army or leatherman, you are covered.
GregM

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff