Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara & Big Fish

As we evolve, we'll break the topics into more specific categories. For now, miscellaneous will do.

Tenkara & Big Fish

Postby cheffish » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:21 pm

New to the discipline but old to more traditional forms of Western fishing. What's the method used when hooking up with larger than average fish? It seems that for the most part in Japan the stream fish are fairly manageable in terms of size.

In Az we could easily happen across a 3 to 5 pound brown in a six foot wide trickle (with some running room) so what would be the technique used in this situation?

Rod has been ordered and is on its way :D so I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas...
cheffish

Re: Tenkara & Big Fish

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:08 am

Perhaps we may have some responses now.

I charged at your post with conventional fly fishing abandon.

That's what I do, it's the way I learn, sometimes a twin fin, other times, a Lopez gun.

No harm or foul.

The problem is limiting.

I will learn to refine myself with a Tenkara rod.

Tenkara is what it is.

I was thinking of choosing a larger rod, the Yamame, and what I am finding is that only some of my fly fishing thoughts pertain to Tenkara. The Ebisu is perfect for what I want from a stream experience, Tenkara style.

And it is not about the X, we have landed HUGE fish on 6x or lighter.

It's about whether I want to run up and down a stream in low light or anytime for that matter. The last big salmo trutta I landed, it took several minutes to hand on 6x and a long fly rod. Many long runs against the tension of the rod and reel was necessary in order to gently land the fish. In order to limit the fight, lifting the fish's head from the water was not an option. I don't want to break flys off in a fish's mouth, I don't want to x-up the Tenkara rod, I want a reel in that scenario.

It will not take me long to figure out the edges of Tenkara because of it's limitations. What lies within that circle will take some time.

My bamboo fly rods and English reels are safe from the dust but not from getting bent and spun.

Below is my initial response.

--------------------

grassart wrote:I'm thinking you're going to be showing us the technique very quickly.

If you don't, I will.

*smile*

Using the Ebisu last weekend, I did hook into the largest brook trout I have ever caught. I don't even want to tell you how big it was Chef, just go up there and catch it yourself. You will not be able to lift it with the Ebisu, you will need a net.

I am sure you will be a leader in small stream Tenkara, I am absolutely sure of it as the very first thing that I thought of when I found out about Tenkara specific rods was you and Brookville.

Now the cat is out of the bag, I'm hoping you will share some of your knowledge after you orient yourself to it.
Adam Trahan

Return to Misc. Tenkara stuff