Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara in the Outdoor Section of the Sunday Oregonian

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Tenkara in the Outdoor Section of the Sunday Oregonian

Postby jayfisher » Sun Oct 24, 2010 2:47 pm

Here's another interesting tenkara article in today's Outdoor Section of the Sunday Oregonian (Oct. 24, 2010):

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/bill_monroe/index.ssf/2010/10/bill_monroe_tenkera_fishing.html

-Jack
jayfisher

Re: Tenkara in the Outdoor Section of the Sunday Oregonian

Postby papa d » Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:31 pm

Thats a good article.
Sure wished i could get a close up of the wood pegs he uses. Cant get Easy Keepers up here and ordering off the net would cost more in shipping than the items.
I guess im going to have to make something as i find the blue line holders a bit fiddley. Good for when packing up to go home but not for trekking through bush to get to a different point up stream or what have you.
papa d

Postby jayfisher » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:34 pm

papa d,

I tried to PM you an enlargement of the photo of the tenkara line keeper. But no matter how many times I tried, I couldn't send the photo. (It's my bad, the message said: "jpg not allowed"). Anyway, as much as I could see about the line holder, it looks like a wood peg attached to the Ayu with a rubber band. It's sort of like a sailboat cleat made very skinny and stretched out to fit on the first segment of the rod.

Some thoughts about line holders:

The blue plastic line holders are a good first step, but I agree that they could use modification. They're hard to manage, especially since they're small diameter and the stiff fluorocarbon line tends to spring off and unwind. I love these products, but here are a couple suggestions (for what they're worth): They need to be wider for faster, easier winding. A better way to secure the line would really help. Maybe an elastic band around the spool? Or ideally some kind of cover that seals the whole thing.

Or a line holder that might be ideal might be something like skinny sailboat cleats stretched out and attachable to the first segment of the rod.

I've also been looking at kite string holders. There are many, including lighter plastic ones.

Anyway, these are just some thoughts.

-Jack :)
jayfisher

Postby BCScott » Sun Oct 24, 2010 11:55 pm

I can't get Ez Keepers here on the west coast either, but I went to my local Canadian Tire store and bought some small wall hooks. I took a propane blow-torch to soften up the plastic and formed them to the rod diameter (I used a pen for my mold). you can use o-rings or an elastic band to attach them to the rod.

Scott
Attachments
Hook 1.jpg
Hook 1.jpg (25.13 KiB) Viewed 6388 times
BCScott

Postby jayfisher » Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:03 am

Wow, Scott, that's brilliant and beautiful!

-Jack :)
jayfisher

Postby tnitz » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks Jack - ironically we don't get the Oregonian in Wallowa County anymore - too expensive to bring it up here! Hmmm, I guess that's good for me, less tenkara pressure on the streams I fish!

Tim
tnitz

Postby papa d » Mon Oct 25, 2010 5:26 pm

Thanks Jack and Scott. Some really good ideas.
Dave.
papa d

Return to About Tenkara