Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara on TV

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Tenkara on TV

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:35 am

I use to host a TV fishing show. We didn't take people fishing.... fishermen would invite us on fishing trips. There is usually a local TV fishing show... and a sports writer for local papers.

Why not contact these people and say: "I have this new fishing rod called a Tenkara. It's totally diffeent than anything I've ever done and it's a lot of fun to use. If you have some spare time I'd like to take you out fishing one of these days."

Before you do this, however, there are some things I must warn you about.....
1. If your favouite "secret" fishing spot is shown on TV or in the news paper... there will not be a parking spot within 10 miles of it the following weekend. I always tried to show the fun and technique rather than the location.
2. Your not selling the steak, your selling the sizzle. You don't need to be a Tenkara rod rep... just showing the fun will get more peoples attention. Believe me, every viewer or reader will be very aware of the tackle you are using. Just have fun.
3. Fish at a time and location where there is lots of action. We're not after a trophy fish, we want action for the camera in the shortest time possable... Time is money... camera men don't work cheep. Keep it simple, keep it fun. Share your adventure... your friends and neighbors are interested in what your up to.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Re: Tenkara on TV

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:10 pm

Stan, many thanks for the advice and suggestion. I'll look into this.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to About Tenkara