Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing Cafe video "Tenkara with Dr Ishigaki"

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Fishing Cafe video "Tenkara with Dr Ishigaki"

Postby dwalker » Mon May 02, 2016 9:55 am

If learning when and where Dr Ishigaki discovered Tenkara interest you- then this 52 minute video is for you.

And it's perfect timing too because he states in the video that he discovered Tenkara 40 years ago in May when he was 27 y.o.

But there is much more to the video:

You will learn a lot about the history of Tenkara, see a wonderful interview with the curator of the Omachi Mountain Museum, hear theories of how the mountain fly fishing method came to be called Tenkara, and see another interview of Mr. Kazuyaki in Akiyama, the son of one of the last professional tenkara fisherman, that the professional fisherman were called Shoku ryōshi , 職漁師, and how their tenkara fishing methods used in a time of abundant fish populations differs from today's recreational tenkara methods or techniques used in a time of smaller fish populations, at least in Japan.

The video seems to be a combination of two or possibly 3 shorter videos I have seen before, but with a large amount of additional material added that I have not seen before.

This video has another great advantage over the previous videos they were only in Japanese. This video has English subtitles. I think you will find the 52 minutes it takes to watch this video well spent.

https://fishingvision.tv/video/fishing-cafe/tenkara-with-hisao-ishigaki.php

I only saw one thing in the video I think is not accurate. Near the end of the video, to me at least, they seem to imply that Daniel Galhardo became intrigued with Tenkara after meeting Dr Ishigaki at the Catskill Fly Fishing Center and Museum and hearing the story of tenkara and seeing the demonstration. But I think that is not correct. I believe Daniel had started TUSA several months before meeting Dr Ishigaki at the CFFCM, and thereafter Dr Ishigaki became his tenkara mentor.

To give credit where it is due. On another tenkara forum another participant, Peder, discovered a shorter 11 minute version of this video on the tv.shimano web site, which led to me discovering this much longer version.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: Fishing Cafe video "Tenkara with Dr Ishigaki"

Postby masjc1 » Mon May 16, 2016 1:05 pm

Thanks for the great video and the history it contains. Very Educational
Mark

"I have laid aside business and gone a fishing"

Izaak Walton
masjc1

Postby dwalker » Thu May 19, 2016 9:44 pm

Mark, thanks for the comment.
I also think it very good video. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest.

David
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon May 23, 2016 7:50 pm

Thanks for the post David, I've seen the 11 minute version, looking forward to settling in to the 52 minute version...
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Return to About Tenkara