Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Is this forum dying?

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Is this forum dying?

Postby Bobc » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:10 am

No trout where I live, so I fish the ditches/canals both salt/fresh water. Use my rod as a fixed-line setup: split shot,strike indicator, whatever flies. There hasn't be thread since last summer. Are people getting tired of the "mystic" of tenkara?
Bobc

Re: Is this forum dying?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:04 pm

Hi Bob, seems to be an ebb and flow of "forums" these days. Most folks seem to gravitate to the social media places like Facebook, twitter, and posting images on places like Instagram.

The best places to drill down and get good nitty gritty on tenkara is still forums in my opinion but places like Facebook seem to attract the majority of people wanting to make a quick post of their fish caught or have a quick question about this and that.

Later it makes it hard to really find good data on Facebook for that very reason as it is not like a forum where the data is easily searchable, etc... so you will find some of us do stick around.

But for traffic, seems the Facebooks of today are all the rage.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby delaneg » Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:26 pm

Just my opinion, but Tenkara is a victim of it's own greatest asset: Simplicity. It is so simple that once learned, there isn't much more that can be said, or gained, in the forums. Newbies ask the same questions as I did and others who started several years ago. All the newbies need to do is to go over past posts to get questions answered. Nothing new has come along in a great while and once the method is learned, one can tweak it to match whatever fishing or techniques are needed by the individual. Matter of fact, this will be my final post on this forum and I will be discontinuing my membership. Tenkara fishermen have pretty much reached the same level, at least in my view. as the Western Fly Fisherman; that of coming across as elitist who are above and beyond those in the general fishing public. Kind of sad, but that's just how I see it. Good luck to you all........I'M OUT OF HERE!!!!!!!!!!! (No need to respond since it would be a waste of your valuable time). Oh, and you newbies can us any line you want. It ALL works. Don't fall for the elitist crap of needing to buy the expensive stuff, I've caught 21 inch trout using the cheap lines and it works just fine.....Just sayin'
delaneg

Postby dwalker » Thu Apr 07, 2016 11:55 pm

Daniel & Adam Trahan discussed this same topic in a recent podcast in regard to participation rate on their forums they administer. Reflecting what TJ wrote that a lot of people are now more into Facebook & Twitter, etc now days than forum participation.

It's a pity. I'm with TJ - forums are a better database for finding previously posted information. Though a lot of people seem to never use the search function.

This forum suffers somewhat, at least for gear discussion, by being mostly restricted to discussing TUSA gear. TUSA stuff is good, but there's a lot of other good gear too, and people migrate to a more open forums where it can be discussed.

And it's now spring. Many people are now spending time digging out their tenkara gear and going fishing rather than reading or writing about it. Or they're out mowing the lawn.

Forum participation here also probably has declined due to the maturing of tenkara on English language websites. There are more blogs, (some rising , others fading) and on-line tenkara magazines to read that have tenkara information. This forum is no longer the single best place to find information about tenkara.

I know it's discouraging when no one responds to a forum post. But that doesn't always mean people aren't reading and thinking about what was posted. Sometimes the only thing they can think to write just seems like adding clutter.

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby troutrageous1 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 6:01 pm

Perhaps this forum is "dead," but I'm game to talk...

I'm nowhere near an expert; but have been doing this since 2009.
Not very vocal in forums, but happy to try to point people in (a somewhat) right direction if they have questions.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:58 pm

Hopefully, now that it's spring and summer, we'll get more anglers on the water, we'll see more pictures and stories of their fishing adventures. I know I'm going to try and post stuff that's a little different than past posts... just to keep up the interest by sharing something that might not have been shown before.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:06 pm

Your right about FaceBook... it's easy to post a quick picture and get those "LIKE"s. LOL It's a good way to share Tenkara with friends and people who never heard of Tenkara... or might not have ever done any fly fishing. That's good... Then take that same photo, even add some more pictures.... and put a few paragraphs about what a fun time your had, where you were, a little helpful hint or suggestion? Post that on the FORUM. We can all share your love of fishing and hang out with you on your most recent adventure. Everyones a winner. :)
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby Adam Trahan » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:45 pm

Forums dying...

I don't think so.

Elitism... hmm. There is definitely a elitist attitude in some parts of the Tenkara community. This faction identifies their "elite" and even write using that word. You don't need to see it to understand people's attitude. I abhor elitist attitudes, period.

Forums like this one are the best part about research. The "SEARCH" function is the best part about forums, you can quickly tap into the information you want without wading through an argument or opinion. You get straight to what you want to learn or read about or what ever. Forums are communities but not like Fakebook, a forum is a timestamp of what was happening when but a repository of knowledge. Much more easy to research, a much better way to learn.

Not a big fan of Facebook, I have fun with it but it's all about selfies and what "I" did and personally, I think it is like a drug, a people drug. Popularity overrides knowledge all the time, that is a huge reason why I think Facebook really is more like a bar and not like a book.
Adam Trahan

Postby outdoor.mne » Fri Nov 25, 2016 10:59 am

This forum not dying...
This is the best Tenkara forum on the world!
Too many people from USA, Europe, Asia... and other countries, in one place axchange their experiences... great place for us, Tenkara anglers.
Im only one Tenkara angler from my country ( Montenegro - Europe )on this place, and I am proud of it !
outdoor.mne

Postby deanwprice36@aapt.net.au » Sun Oct 22, 2017 7:28 pm

Hi
I believe that other social media platforms are more user friendly, you dont have to shrink photos or be limited to the amount you post and remember your password everytime. Posting on FB is faster and there are a lot of tenkara groups to join. Posts are easy to respond to be just liking or by commenting without logging in or out. In short, the other platforms are more convenient. This is why l rarely use forums any more. On the other hand forums do contain expert information.
deanwprice36@aapt.net.au

Next

Return to About Tenkara