Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

An Interview with Yuzo Sebata

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

An Interview with Yuzo Sebata

Postby GregM » Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:28 am

GregM

Re: An Interview with Yuzo Sebata

Postby dwalker » Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:27 pm

A very nice interview indeed. I usually check Adam's forum every few days but somehow missed seeing that interview.

He mentions appearing on a TV show 20 years ago with Etsuji Katayama , and that it was the first time Tenkara was on television, and it was from that time that interest in Tenkara grew in popularity.

I happened to do a little research about Etsuji Katayama ( 片山悦二 ) about 2 months ago after seeing mention of him doing a find job with the Daiwa Level Line rods. I thought - what is that all about?

片山悦二さん / 片山悦二氏 - either is or was a field tester for Daiwa. If you look at the Daiwa webpage for their level line, he wrote the middle paragraph in the description of the line. His name is at the top of the paragraph.
http://all.daiwa21.com/fishing/item/line/keiryu_li/tahuron_tenkara/

In April 2013 a Tenkara book written by him was published. It appears as #15 of a series of books called Power Up series. The title would translate something like
Tenkara Fishing Day is Suddenly Successful ( Fishing Power UP! series common sense to break the wall)

You can see a picture of the front cover on his blog. ( I had to go back to 2010 to find mostly tenkara post. more recent post seem to be more salt water fishing) However, the book cover entry is from this month, Jan 2014.
http://fight-fishing.net/archives/201401-1.html

However, this is a much larger image of the front cover alone.
http://img01.naturum.ne.jp/usr/matumotokatumoto/2013421.jpg
Or a picture of him and the front cover of the book from last July.
http://tenkarakebari.jugem.jp/?eid=620

An old blog post from 2005, showing Etsuji-san and others fishing. He is wearing a Daiwa vest marked Field Tester. Since it is 8 years old I am not sure if he is still a field tester for Daiwa.
http://www.ayuzo.net/kei/kei2005/050409/kei050409.html

I was hoping that doing a search with the following phrase, I would find a picture of the two of them together. But no luck , the closest was post about one and then the other on consequitive days on the tenkarakebari blog.
片山悦二さんと雄三瀬畑さん・テンカラ釣り

Anyway, many were familiar with Yūzō Sebata-san and perhaps not familiar at all with Katayama Etsuji-san. In the interview Sebata-san stated he was the eastern representative and Etsuji-san the western representative on that TV show 20 years ago that was the first TV broadcast of Tenkara , maybe you found learning a bit more about him has added to your knowledge of Tenkara lore or maybe it's trivia. :?

fwiw,
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:51 am

That was very nice of you David, thank you.

Do you have any questions for Mr. Sebata?

I am doing a story on his early Tenkara trip to the USA in which he produced a video while on Team Daiwa.

It is interesting to note that he uses a Tenkara USA Ito. For me, this is an amazing tribute to Daniel. Without a doubt, Yuzoh is one of my favorite anglers (Ishigaki, Sakakibara, Amano et al) from Japan.

Do you have a Tenkara (Japanese) book library?

Interested in working together on some translation and dissemination of findings?
Adam Trahan

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:54 am

Greg, thanks for posting.

I'm very happy to be represented and participating here.

I enjoy Tenkara very much.
Adam Trahan

Postby dwalker » Sun May 04, 2014 11:06 pm

Adam Trahan wrote:That was very nice of you David, thank you.

Do you have any questions for Mr. Sebata?

I am doing a story on his early Tenkara trip to the USA in which he produced a video while on Team Daiwa.

You're welcome. I'm sure with some thought there would be many questions to ask 瀬畑さん . but no. No questions at this time. Somewhere I have saved a web page wherein he describes how he makes his furled lines that I slug away at from time to time. I am enjoying the challenge to see if I can translate it and understand it.

I look forward to reading your story about his trip to the USA. I was not aware he had ever been here or made a video of his fishing while here. It ought to be an interesting story. :)

Adam Trahan wrote:......
Do you have a Tenkara (Japanese) book library?

Interested in working together on some translation and dissemination of findings?

No. I do not have any Japanese Tenkara books. Though I do have some Japanese text books I have been trying to learn to read. I first tried to learn to read Japanese after becoming interested in Sorobans and I found a web page describing how to calculate square roots with the Soroban ( そろばん ) . I didn't make much progress translating it.

Years later after discovering Tenkara - For the fun of it and the challenge I have played around a good bit with electronic translations and have learned to read or recognize a lot of terms written in Japanese. Along the way I have learned several tricks to use with electronic translation force a more accurate translation or to more efficiently find terms I want to do google searches with. For me it's just the fun of the challenge. Mostly a winter time intellectual sport not much pursued during warmer months.

It is only since this past winter I have started to try to learn Japanese to step up my game a bit. ;) At best I can perhaps read Japanese at a first or second grade level.

If interested:
I have found George Trombley and Yukari Takenaka's "Japanese from Zero" books helpful. I am about 2/3 of the way through the first of the 4 books.

Their YesJapan website and YesJapan youtube videos are also helpful. Also somewhat helpful are their youtube Eigo Egg videos, which = their English from Zero series - for Japanese people wanting to learn English. Eigo ( 英語 ) is the Japanese term for the English language. And 日本語 ( Nihongo ) would be the term for the Japanese language.

Just learning Japanese sentence structure and grammar is helpful while relying on electronic translation. How easily some web pages translate seems to depend a lot on the writing style of the author. There are so many different ways to write the same thing that some writings are easy to translate and others not.

And there are a lot of homohones, words that are pronounced the same but are written with different kanji and mean something completely different. I like Japanese authors who write like Hemingway, masters of writing with simple words. :)

http://yesjapan.com

I have also found Clay and Yumi Boutwell's books and web sites useful in learning Japanese. I am making some progress in learning to read their Japanese fairy or folk tale books.

http://www.thejapanshop.com/Japanese-Paperback-Hikoichi-Inch-High-Shitakiri/dp/B00JKJZ71Y?field_availability=-1&field_browse=6443560011&id=Japanese+Paperback+Hikoichi+Inch-High+Shitakiri&ie=UTF8&refinementHistory=brandtextbin%2Csubjectbin%2Cprice%2Cauthor-bin&searchNodeID=6443560011&searchPage=1&searchRank=salesrank&searchSize=12

http://www.thejapanshop.com/Hiragana-Basics-Japanese-DIGITAL-DOWNLOAD/dp/B003V5JVZ6

http://thejapanesepage.com

Trying to translate Tenkara web pages is the most helpful for my interest because they use fishing terms that are not usually found in general text used to teach the Japanese language. And a lot of translation really relies on knowing the culture or how they would think of different concepts.

流 = Ryū translates as stream or flow
But 流れ = Nagare . which will also translate as flow or current. But the same term is also used to describe the trail of a shooting star in one of the Boutwell books. Why Ryū become Nagare still remains a bit of a mystery not yet understood.

Or おなかが すいます (Onaka ga suimasu) which literally translates as - stomach is empty, but should just translate as - I'm hungry. Which can also be written as お腹がすいます ( Onaka ga suimasu ) but written this way it wants to translate as - I am hungry belly. :shock:

Lots of opportunity to get the translation wrong. But it's just part of the frustration or the challenge of trying to understand Japanese. :)

If I can stick with studying Japanese I might be more up to the challenge to help with the translation in another year. I sometimes get translations mostly correct and sometimes maddeningly wrong. :oops: But send me something and I will give it a go. Worst that can happen is it would completely confuse me. :?

D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Return to About Tenkara