Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara trivia

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Re: Tenkara trivia

Postby dwalker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:54 pm

jd_smith wrote: Most users ever online was 116 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:26 pm

Not really tenkara trivia. More TUSA Tenkara Forum trivia.
What was so interesting in the forum one year ago tomorrow?

However, I have noticed the last few days the forum has been busier than usual. Log ins often around 36 the last couple of days. However, people don't have to be on the forum to Christmas shop. And if logged in to place orders then their screen names would show up, unless they are just window shopping and not logged into their accounts. But does the forum show a count of every one just viewing the website and not necessarily viewing the forum. :?
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:23 pm

More Tenkara Trivia questions
AA12 - Who was Keigu Horie?
AA13 - He coined or created a name for a type of kebari, What was that name?
AA14 - What general type of hackle is used to tie this type of kebari?
AA15 - In Japan he had a nickname for his contribution to Tenkara culture. What was that nickname?

hint - You might have to go outside this forum to another well known Tenkara website to find the answer to question 15.

;)
D
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Fri Dec 20, 2013 10:45 am

dwalker wrote:More Tenkara Trivia questions
AA12 - Who was Keigu Horie?
AA13 - He coined or created a name for a type of kebari, What was that name?
AA14 - What general type of hackle is used to tie this type of kebari?
AA15 - In Japan he had a nickname for his contribution to Tenkara culture. What was that nickname?

hint - You might have to go outside this forum to another well known Tenkara website to find the answer to question 15.

;)
D

AA12. A Japanese Tenkara Master

AA13. Hanagasa kebri. and Sakasa(reverse) Hanagasa kebari. Hanagasa is a word created by a japanese tenkara master, Keigu Horie, to indicate a kebari that reminded him of a traditional conical hat of Yamagata prefecture in Japan...

AA14. Kebari made with the softer type of hackle such as as partridge or pheasant. If made with cock hackles, is not a hanagasa kebari.

AA15. I haven't been able to answer this one D
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 1:18 pm

jd_smith wrote:
dwalker wrote:AA15 - In Japan he had a nickname for his contribution to Tenkara culture. What was that nickname?
AA15. I haven't been able to answer this one D

http://www.oni-tenkara.com/english/evidence1/horiekeigu.html
堀江渓愚
モダンなテンカラの先駆けとなった方

Horie Keigu
Pioneer of Modern Day Tenkara

"He is a long-time promoter of Tenkara and is credited for its popularity in Japan today."

He developed the "Cherish Every Catch" concept and lead the Tenkara community in Japan for many years with this idea.

A video from Davide's youtube channel of Horie Keigu fishing- "Tenkara Keigu Horie", 2:29. At 1:33 a 逆さ花笠毛バリ ( Sakasa Hanagasa kebari) is shown.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bbmUx9kyXkI&feature=c4-overview&list=UUNY6ZiCjE-ulA0j79H1l0HA

Mr. Horie Keigu passed away this past March.
http://www.oni-tenkara.com/oni-blog/1850.html
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:41 pm

I have no idea how to find the answer. Unless some one on the TUSA staff could look it up or if someone just happens to know the answer.
AA16 - who ordered the first TUSA Tenkara rod?
AA17 - what model rod was it?
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:14 pm

dwalker wrote:I have no idea how to find the answer. Unless some one on the TUSA staff could look it up or if someone just happens to know the answer.
AA16 - who ordered the first TUSA Tenkara rod?
AA17 - what model rod was it?

AA16. I have no way of knowing this one. And I'm guessing that TUSA won't say because of confidentiality.

AA17 I don't know this one either but I would put my money on it, that it was an 12' Iwana being the first rod ever ordered.
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:52 pm

jd_smith wrote:
AA16. I have no way of knowing this one. And I'm guessing that TUSA won't say because of confidentiality.

AA17 I don't know this one either but I would put my money on it, that it was an 12' Iwana being the first rod ever ordered.

Well, the first post about receiving a tenkara rod was made on May 1 2009.
3 weeks later he posted about fishing with the Yamame rod.

otoh - between those 2 post there were post about fishing with the Iwana.

New trivia question.
AA18 - who first suggested storing the rod tip plug in the rod butt cap?
An idea I read about somewhere recently. :shock:

:roll:
D
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Sun Dec 22, 2013 5:59 pm

dwalker wrote:
New trivia question.

D

AA18. Well you may be referring to Kid Riemer. But being that his mention was only a few weeks before the release of the new models, I'm sceptical if it was KR who first suggested or thought of it. This is all in assumption that my answer is the one you were looking for. :?
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:24 pm

jd_smith wrote:
dwalker wrote:
New trivia question.

D

AA18. Well you may be referring to Kid Riemer. But being that his mention was only a few weeks before the release of the new models, I'm sceptical if it was KR who first suggested or thought of it. This is all in assumption that my answer is the one you were looking for. :?

Nope. It was jeffkreger, who made the suggestion May 26, 2009. Only about 2 months after TUSA opened.
http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=31

jeffkreager wrote:I fished the Tenkara rod extensively this weekend. First the bad news.

1) That little wooden tip got wet and swelled to the point I could no longer fit it into the end of the rod. That tip needs a home in the handle of the rod. I think if you were able to attach it to the black screw in cap at the bottom of the rod it would be there for safe keeping while you fish.

If the wooden tip was notched then you would be able to keep the rod from coming undone without taking off the leader. ....

Actually Jeff offered up other good tips too.
"Observations:
The less hackle the better...
Nets are a must to safely land a fish.
Always plan your hookset when you cast because if you miss your strike then you'll be in the trees.
Don't be afraid to wear camoflauge while sneaking up to spooky fish in clear shallow water. "

Anyway, interesting that only 2 months into the western Tenkara experience someone thought of storing the rod tip plug ( 竿先栓 , Sao-saki sen) in the end cap. And now, 4.5 years later, the idea has been adopted.

Here is how one guy made a replacement tip plug.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/ksaido1/5906605.html

;)
d
dwalker

Previous

Return to About Tenkara