Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara trivia

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Re: Tenkara trivia

Postby dwalker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:15 pm

dwalker wrote:Here are some new trivia questions:

AA1 - What was Daniel's preferred type of line when the forum opened?
AA2 - Why was he not convinced of the merits of the other type of line?
AA3 - Has his attitude about his preferred type of line changed today?
:roll:
D

It looks like no one is going to take on finding the answers to these questions. Guess it is time to provide the answers and move on to new trivia questions.

AA1 - furled line
AA2 - fluorocarbon line ; was not that powerful, did not turnover the fly nicely, memory in the line seemed to cause spring back, difficult to see.
AA3 - However, two days later. I'm getting there to the "acquired taste". I think it is safe to say today his attitude about FC level line has changed today. :shock: :roll:

http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:...

For casting, I found fluoro was not that powerful and didn’t turnover flies very nicely. A furled line effortlessly turns flies and long tippets over, but sometimes I had a hard time with the fluoro. .... Also, the memory in the line (even though it was less than I expected it would be) seemed to make it spring back a little bit when I cast.

One thing that suprised me was the invisibility of the lines, ..... With the furled line, no matter which color (green or clear), I have always been able to see the line in pretty much every condition I have faced so far. Today, when trying the fluorocarbon on some casting ponds .... I had an incredibly hard time seeing the lines, especially using polarized sunglasses. .....
I don't want to have the final word on this, but I guess I just don't quite get it yet.

Two days later:
Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:So, I tried fluorocarbon again today...I'm getting there. I think it's a bit more of an "acquired taste" but it did work beautifully today, especially with the stiffer (6:4/7:3) rod, but even with the softer rod it worked very nicely.....
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:27 pm

New trivia questions
AA7 - Who is Meboso san ?
AA8 - What product would you buy in the Meboso Hachirobei Company store today?
AA9 - What was the original product manufactured by the company ?
AA10 - How many generations has the Meboso family been in business in the same location?
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Found a stray question not yet answered
dwalker wrote:.
E. In what book did Daniel first read about Tenkara?

http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/content.php?142-Interview-with-Daniel-W-Galhardo-Tenkara-USA-founder

"Daniel: ... I ..started researching the presence of fly fishing in Japan. Then I came across a book called “Angling in Japan” at the local library. It talked about several methods of fishing in Japan, among them tenkara – which ironically only has a very short reference to it. That’s how I learned about the existence of tenkara fly fishing. ... "

http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/anglinginjapan-300x279.jpg
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Tue Dec 17, 2013 8:35 pm

Aw shucks D. I guess I just figured that you had answered them already or at least gave the answers away with this previous post, so I never chimed in. Nobody's fault but my own I guess.

I definitely knew the answers because I have always found level lines to have more versatility and more advantages than furled lines and thought it was strange that Daniel didn't see this right away. Well at least at first it didn't seem so, now it seems as though he's changed his perception on what is the best choice in lies.

dwalker wrote:
jd_smith wrote:
dwalker wrote:New question
AA5 - What is date of first post to the forum, who made the post, what was the topic?

This is just a guess but somewhere along the way I think I remember Chris mentioning that he was the first to post to this forum.

Topic; Tapered vs Level Lines
Date; April 15, 2009
Author; Chris Stewart

Quite right as far as I could determine that is the earliest post to the forum. Page 12 of the Lines section.

It is also the same thread where where Higuchi first mentioned Mr. Takekabu. I think he got lost till Eddie mentioned him again 2 years later when his casting skill drew more interest. Perhaps his casting skill was more appreciated two years later. It is also the same thread where you can find the answers to questions AA1,2, and 3. When Daniel was skeptical of the merit of fluorocarbon level line and favored furled lines. I think all of us have learned a lot about lines and casting over 4 + years.

D
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:23 pm

jd_smith wrote:Aw shucks D. I guess I just figured that you had answered them already or at least gave the answers away with this previous post, so I never chimed in. Nobody's fault but my own I guess.

I definitely knew the answers because I have always found level lines to have more versatility and more advantages than furled lines and thought it was strange that Daniel didn't see this right away. Well at least at first it didn't seem so, now it seems as though he's changed his perception on what is the best choice in lies.

People would have seen the answers if they clicked on the link and read through the thread. But there was no evidence people did read it and wanting to tidy up loose threads I thought it best to post the answers.

Anyway , I think most Tenkara newbies start out with the furled lines because they are easier to manage and cast, until you get the hang of getting the slinky memory out of the level line and improve your casting skills a little.

It is starting to take a little more effort to find new trivia questions that can be answered from previous post on TUSA web site. Though a few outside web sites provide a clearer statement of some answers.

;)
David
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:18 pm

dwalker wrote: It is starting to take a little more effort to find new trivia questions that can be answered from previous post on TUSA web site. Though a few outside web sites provide a clearer statement of some answers.;) David

I agree with that. When I posted the original 16 questions, I deliberately chose questions from the TenkaraUSA blog pages. Most people including myself are not able to refine their searches as well as you do. You have a gift mixed with alot of practice D :lol: .

I wanted to list a variety of easy questions mixed with some that would take some thinking back a couple years to answer, and then others that would take some digging to find. I think it makes it more interesting if folks can get a couple rite off and then have to search for more. There were a few of mine that nobody had answered either.

I haven't had time in the last couple of days to make a new list, but I'll try to put one up soon. I like the chronological numbering system though. I was getting a little confused with the A1, A2, AA1, AA2 method. ;)

-JD
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby jd_smith » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:22 pm

New trivia questions
AA8 - What product would you buy in the Meboso Hachirobei Company store today? Jewely?
AA9 - What was the original product manufactured by the company ? Kaga Kebari?
AA10 - How many generations has the Meboso family been in business in the same location? 5?

I honestly don't know any for sure.
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:14 pm

jd_smith wrote:New trivia questions
AA8 - What product would you buy in the Meboso Hachirobei Company store today? Jewely?
AA9 - What was the original product manufactured by the company ? Kaga Kebari?
AA10 - How many generations has the Meboso family been in business in the same location? 5?

I honestly don't know any for sure.

The answers to all four questions can be found in this 8 April 2010 blog post.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/blog/?p=688#more-688

AA7 - Member of the Meboso family owners of very old shop in Japan.
AA8 = Nowadays, the Meboso’s main craft is fly-tying, however they continue making their own needles and hooks.
AA9 - Sewing needles. Later evolved in to hooks and then Kaga Flies. Which I think are Ayu flies.
AA10 - 20 generations, since 1575. 430 years.

The only place I have seen shops that old or older is in the Netherlands. Well, probably Tangier Morocco, Barcelona, Spain and Athens, Greece, too. But I was to young at the time to appreciate it. Sailors look for bars or restaurants, the interest being what is inside, not the age of the structure. :roll:

Their shop webpage
http://www.meboso.co.jp/contz/pages/kebari.shtml

On line shop site,
http://www.meboso.co.jp/meboshop/shop/frontpage.cgi
below MENU, click 加賀毛針 ( Kaga Kebari) . A menu tree will open, showing different flies or 毛針ケース ( Kebari kēsu) Fly Case, 毛針用品 ( Kebari yōhin) Fly supplies, among other things, including jewelery.

The bottom menu choice - めぼそ針 ( Me bo so hari) are I believe - Needles. Their original product. And I believe the original product made into hooks. Whether for Ayu flies or Tenkara flies.

In the blog post Daniel mentions " Most notably for us anglers fly-tying and rod making, which are officially designated Ishikawa Prefecture Folk Craft "

Here is a link to Morioka Part 8 Ishizawa Kazusao fly shop. The spelling is a little different. Maybe the same place or a different place. Either way there are interesting pictures inside this old shop. The only place tenkara shows up is under the display of flies, where it says they are flies used for tenkara and fly fishing.
[url]http://blog.livedoor.jp/ukk_1/tag/和竿[/url]
http://blog.livedoor.jp/ukk_1/tag/%E5%92%8C%E7%AB%BF

I've never quit figured out what Morioka fishing is. Other than it seems to use multiple flies and a float.
If interested do a google search for
盛岡毛鉤 ( Moriokakebari) Morioka fly or
盛岡毛鉤 作り方 ( Moriokakebari tsukurikata) Morioka fly how to make / how to create /making

;)
D
Last edited by dwalker on Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:17 pm

New easy one.
AA11 - What date drew the most people interested in Tenkara to this forum? What was the date?
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:34 pm

dwalker wrote:New easy one.
AA11 - What date drew the most people interested in Tenkara to this forum? What was the date?

Most users ever online was 116 on Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:26 pm
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

PreviousNext

Return to About Tenkara