Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara trivia

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Re: Tenkara trivia

Postby dwalker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:15 pm

scorpion1971 wrote:
dwalker wrote:AA4 - Should you increase or decrease line size if you are having trouble casting a line 1 m longer than you could successfully cast at the shorter length?
D

you should decrease.

Are you sure? Time left to either change your choice or stand by your decision before I present reasons to back what I believe is the correct answer.

:?
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:20 pm

New question
AA5 - What is date of first post to the forum, who made the post, what was the topic?

:shock:
D
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:58 pm

dwalker wrote:
scorpion1971 wrote:
dwalker wrote:AA4 - Should you increase or decrease line size if you are having trouble casting a line 1 m longer than you could successfully cast at the shorter length?
D

you should decrease.

:?:
Are you sure? Time left to either change your choice or stand by your decision before I present reasons to back what I believe is the correct answer.

:?
D

AA4. Increase line size

I'm no physicist but a larger line diameter has more mass and will load the rod deeper generating more energy. Further more the larger line size is able to receive a greater transfer of energy and carry more energy through the entire cast. Lines with greater mass can store more energy than thin lines with less mass.
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby jd_smith » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:31 pm

dwalker wrote:New question
AA5 - What is date of first post to the forum, who made the post, what was the topic?

:shock:
D

This is just a guess but somewhere along the way I think I remember Chris mentioning that he was the first to post to this forum.

Topic; Tapered vs Level Lines
Date; April 15, 2009
Author; Chris Stewart
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby dwalker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:08 pm

AA4 - Should you increase or decrease line size if you are having trouble casting a line 1 m longer than you could successfully cast at the shorter length?

jd_smith wrote:
scorpion1971 wrote:you should decrease.

AA4. Increase line size

This question is perhaps not strictly a trivia question. However, it is a concept that many people get the wrong way round. Including myself initially. I think you will find you can more easily cast a longer line that is heavier or thicker line than a line of the same length that is a lighter line.

I used to think that for a longer line I would want to use a lighter line, easier to hold the lighter longer line off the water. Though lighter line has lower mass per foot, I assumed the lighter longer line would not have a lower mass because it would have higher mass just by being longer. iow - what it lacked in mass from thickness it gained back by being longer.

I owe a thank you to Eddie for correcting my thinking when he introduced the concept of line speed. I proved his thumb rules to myself this past summer when I tried casting a long 2.5 line for the first time. I could do it but I had to concentrate more on my cast to generate the higher line speed required by the combination of a longer yet lighter line. I could cast a 3.5 line of the same length without concentrating so much on the cast. It takes practice to learn to cast with higher line speed needed to cast longer and or lighter lines. I think this is why most people new to tenkara find it much easier to cast the heavier and shorter furled lines. Until they acquire the skill to cast lines with higher line speed.

Here are Eddie's thumb rules and advice for when wanting to increase line length.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2116&start=20

Eddie wrote:....
A long line needs higher line speed than a shorter line if the lines have the same thickness, so basically a long line needs a stiffer rod that will generate higher line speed. But when a softer rod and a stiffer rod both can generate enough line speed for a long line, you can cast the long line with the softer rod with less force.
The best balance depends on your preference, but if the best balance represents easiness (less force) of cast, the rules of thumb can be:
1. A longer line needs higher line speed than a shorter line when the lines have the same thickness.
2. A lighter line needs higher line speed than a heavier line when the lines have the same length.
3. A rod will generate a higher line speed with a lighter line than with a heavier line.
4. A stiffer rod will generate higher line speed than a softer rod.

Eddie wrote:....
When you have a good combination of a certain rod and a certain line and would like to try longer lines, I would recommend you try a longer line with the same thickness, first. Then, if the line does not extend well, increase the thickness.

If you try lines with different lengths and thicknesses (weights) , it will provide you with a lot of information about lines, rods, and casting techniques and improve your casting skills.

To clarify item 3. Your rod may generate a higher line speed when casting the lighter line. But if you lack the casting skill to generate the line speed required by the line also being longer, item 1, then the line will not fully extend. Item 4 probably accounts for why Takekabu was reported to use a very stiff 3m rod to cast the 30 foot line. The stiffer rod was needed to generate the line speed required. Plus using an energetic back cast, which sets up the power for the forward cast. Trivia are details of little importance. Which this is not. But Trivia can also be details that are little known. I found knowing this helped my casting in more ways than a lot of other casting knowledge and thought I throw it into this trivia list. Now I will go back to the strict definition of trivia, details of little importance.

;)
D
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:07 pm

jd_smith wrote:
dwalker wrote:New question

This is just a guess but somewhere along the way I think I remember Chris mentioning that he was the first to post to this forum.

Topic; Tapered vs Level Lines
Date; April 15, 2009
Author; Chris Stewart

Quite right as far as I could determine that is the earliest post to the forum. Page 12 of the Lines section.

It is also the same thread where where Higuchi first mentioned Mr. Takekabu. I think he got lost till Eddie mentioned him again 2 years later when his casting skill drew more interest. Perhaps his casting skill was more appreciated two years later. It is also the same thread where you can find the answers to questions AA1,2, and 3. When Daniel was skeptical of the merit of fluorocarbon level line and favored furled lines. I think all of us have learned a lot about lines and casting over 4 + years.

D
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:13 pm

The Lines section has the oldest or earliest forum post and 12 pages of post.

Question AA6 - What section has the most pages of post ?

In a way I found it rather surprising. However, thinking about Tenkara in a different way, perhaps the most posted to topic is not surprising and it is as it ought to be.

;)
D
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:32 am

dwalker wrote:.Question AA6 - What section has the most pages of post ?

;)
D

I believe that would be the "Your Tenkara Experience" section with 46 pages.

BTW I'm enjoying you and everybody else playing along. :) I've had some things keeping me from fishing much lately, so I've got to get it out somehow.
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

Postby Stephen McGowen » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:39 am

Jeff...I find it hard to believe that you are not dancing with the Demon regardless of wind weather and water conditions. So, what's the word ?

Happy holidays.....SM
Stephen McGowen

Postby jd_smith » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:08 pm

Stephen McGowen wrote:Jeff...I find it hard to believe that you are not dancing with the Demon regardless of wind weather and water conditions. So, what's the word ?

Happy holidays.....SM

Hi Stephen...Yes I have been holding hands with the demon, but unfortunately every time we're headed to the dance floor, other things are stepping on my toes tripping me up. We have been practicing our dance steps though and refining our tempo. I have a great partner, and soon we'll take the dance floor, to blow the competition out of the water. :lol:

Good to hear from you Stephen. Thank you.
Happy holidays, Merry Christmas and Best Fishes!

-JD
<{(((((><{

jd_smith

PreviousNext

Return to About Tenkara