Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara trivia

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Re: Tenkara trivia

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 8:48 pm

jd_smith wrote: 6) What is tenkara rod flex and what does it do? Careful with this one. :?
7) Who is largely considered to have been the last commercial tenkara angler in Japan?

10) Name 5 main techniques used with the traditional unweighted kebari.

12) Give another name for fishing this style we call Tenkara.

6 - One could also say the rod flex index is a system to confuse people about rod flex or action.
7 - Bunpei Sonehara , 曽根原 文平 ( Sonehara Bunpei)
10 - One of the 5 methods is Sutebari 「捨てばり」 `Sute-bari' , or aka Showing off the fly.
12 - 日本式毛鉤釣り , ( Nihonshiki kebari-dzuri) Japanese Traditional Style/Method Fly Fishing.

;)
D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:09 pm

Here are some new trivia questions:

AA1 - What was Daniel's preferred type of line when the forum opened?
AA2 - Why was he not convinced of the merits of the other type of line?
AA3 - Has his attitude about his preferred type of line changed today?

And just to make trivia questions provide some practical insight.

AA4 - Should you increase or decrease line size if you are having trouble casting a line 1 m longer than you could successfully cast at the shorter length?

:roll:
D
dwalker

Postby adventureR » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:38 pm

jd_smith wrote:
adventureR wrote:I saw this post JD_ and immediately thought NERDS! also embraced my own inner Tenkara nerd.

:D watch it Jeff! An old fish may find its way under your drivers seat!

Hey what question # is it??? I have a couple to add.

17.) Is the belief in Tsuchinoko a way to test No-tarrin club's prospective members before they were allowed join?

18.) Has Tenkara in Japan seen a resurgence since TUSA and others across the globe have taken interest in it practice?
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:23 pm

adventureR wrote:18.) Has Tenkara in Japan seen a resurgence since TUSA and others across the globe have taken interest in it practice?

I doubt there is a way to answer that question. Certainly not from here.

D
dwalker

Postby jd_smith » Sun Dec 15, 2013 10:52 pm

Lol. The old fish under the seat gag. Priceless! It actually works better under the dash though. Makes for a deeply marinated, rich fish flavor.

True story; A friend of mine had to sell his truck because his cousin sought revenge on him for locking him in the honey bucket till quitting time. He never found the fish under the dash and could no longer stand the smell. His cousin ended up telling him what he had done years later.

I'm not sure what # we're on Jeremy. I think what I'll do at this point is to post my list of answers and we can just go from there.

1) Where does Tenkara come from? Be specific. Answer; Mountain streams of Japan

2) Who founded Tenkara USA? And in what year? Answers; Daniel Galhardo in 2009

3) In 2010 what 5 tenkara rod models were you able to buy from Tenkara USA? Answers; Ayu, Ebisu, Iwana, Amago, Yamame

4) Name 4 common style of kebari. Answers; Nikko, Takayama, Akiyamago, Mino Gujo, Gorocho, Sakasa, Ishigaki, Kaga, Banshu, Hido, Kurobe, more.

5) Who gave the first known written account of Tenkara? Answer; Ernest Satow

6) What is rod flex and what does it do? Careful with this one. Answers; 5:5 6:4 7:3 tells where the rod bends. All it does is confuse us.

7) Who is largely considered to have been the last commercial tenkara angler in Japan? Answer; Bunpei Sonehara

8) Name the Japanese art of fish prints. Answer; Gyotaku

9) Name 4 Japanese trout or land locked salmon. Answers; Iwana, Ito, Amago, Ayu, Yamame, Oshorocoma (technically a Dolly Varden, Kunimasu (previously thought to be extinct)

10) Name 5 main techniques used with the traditional styles of fishing kebari. Answers; dead drift, pausing, plunging or sinking, pause and drift, pulsing or twitching, pulling or stripping through the water, show the fly repeatedly casting in a location with final presentation and drift.

11) Name the first 6 kebari offered by Tenkara USA? Answers; Mino Gujo, Akiyama, Caddis Mayfly Variant, Sakasa, Ishigaki, Fujioka

12) Give another name for fishing this style we call Tenkara. Answer; kebari tsuri

13) On Daniels most recent trip to Japan he fished with two very well known Tenkara anglers (dare I say masters) Who were they? Answers; Yuzo Sabata and Takashi Yoshida

14) What did Dr. Ishigaki tell Daniel when he wants him to keep moving to search for fish? Answer; don don don don = move move

15) Name the mythical Japanese god of fishing. Answer; Ebisu

16) Dr Ishigaki first learned of tenkara from what book? Name that book. Answer; Keiryu no tsuri
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:02 pm

HA! LOVE THESE! Just saw the thread, too much fun to go through it. We'll have to compile it into a long one. Nicely done guys for starting it and keeping the trivia going!

17) What flower's bloom indicates the best season for tenkara in Japan?
18) What natural material is used in the fly named "mamushi kebari"?
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby scorpion1971 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:22 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:18) What natural material is used in the fly named "mamushi kebari"?

snake skin
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby scorpion1971 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:23 pm

dwalker wrote:Here are some new trivia questions:

AA4 - Should you increase or decrease line size if you are having trouble casting a line 1 m longer than you could successfully cast at the shorter length?

:roll:
D

you should decrease.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 15, 2013 11:39 pm

Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote: 17) What flower's bloom indicates the best season for tenkara in Japan?

http://www.mazegawa.com/intl/?p=314

「藤の咲くころからがベストシーズン。」
Fuji no saku koro kara ga besutoshīzun.'
It is the best season around the time the wisteria blooms.
http://blogs.yahoo.co.jp/flyfisher_yokosuka/33088736.html

藤の花が咲く頃からが、
テンカラのシーズンだそうである。
Fuji no hanagasaku-goro kara ga,
Tenkara no shīzunda sōdearu.
Since when the flowers of wisteria blooms,
It is said that season of Tenkara.
Or
It is said to be the season of Tenkara
From when the wisteria blooms.
http://ocyanomatenkara.blog39.fc2.com/blog-entry-37.html
dwalker

Postby adventureR » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:35 am

dwalker wrote:
adventureR wrote:18.) Has Tenkara in Japan seen a resurgence since TUSA and others across the globe have taken interest in it practice?

I doubt there is a way to answer that question. Certainly not from here.

D

D. I agree, but the question could be explored by a visitor to a fly fishing shop or two in Japan. Perhaps difficult but not impossible to answer from here.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA wrote:HA! LOVE THESE! Just saw the thread, too much fun to go through it. We'll have to compile it into a long one. Nicely done guys for starting it and keeping the trivia going!

17) What flower's bloom indicates the best season for tenkara in Japan?

Daniel nice to see your posts again! Like the use of the Wisteria flower blooming. Nature using temperature to signal a fish's increased digestion. :) The Japanese enjoyment of nature is hook for me.

jd_smith wrote:Lol. The old fish under the seat gag. Priceless! It actually works better under the dash though. Makes for a deeply marinated, rich fish flavor.

True story; A friend of mine had to sell his truck because his cousin sought revenge on him for locking him in the honey bucket till quitting time. He never found the fish under the dash and could no longer stand the smell. His cousin ended up telling him what he had done years later.

I'm not sure what # we're on Jeremy. I think what I'll do at this point is to post my list of answers and we can just go from there.

JD_ a fish under the dash wow that's low, but also sounded justified! One up from Grumpy Old Men vengeance. :0 deeply marinated rich flavor! 0: got a nice laugh, thanks.
Thought I'd answer your questions jokingly to allow for more guesses. It's a good thread. You came up with a bunch of good ones.

A couple more questions-
21.) Why were uniform size fish targeted by commercial Tenkara fisherman instead of the biggest possible catch?

22.) Where did the first account of weight added to a Tenkara kebari show up in Japan?
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

PreviousNext

Return to About Tenkara