Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The Tenkara Community

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Re: The Tenkara Community

Postby rsetina » Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:35 pm

Adam, I have to agree with you about what you said in regards to Daniel and the members on this forum. Everyone on the outing last year in Northern California made me feel like we had know each other for years. That we'd been friends for a long time. I don't get that on other forums. Maybe it's because we are such a small tight community so far, but as Tenkara grows I don't see things changing.

I have to say too, that due to the innovative nature of quite a few people here, Tenkara is growing in a few directions and I see that as a great thing. One example is that of Daryl catching flounder on his Tenkara rod. When I first joined I never would have thought that a Tenkara rod could be used to catch fish from the big pond. I know it's not intended to be used in that manner, but somehow it works. As the community Daniel started grows, I'm sure more ideas from innovative members will expand the Tenkara horizon.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:13 am

I first heard about Tenkara on a friends blog. He is always into fun and excitement so I ask if his shop sold the rods. No, but he got me in touch with a guy who had the rods and would let me try them out. What fun. I ordered a rod the next day.

I am already posting Tenkara stories and pictures of my Montana fishing adventure on my web site and here. Can't wait to get home to my regular computer and start posting on ALL the fly fishing forums. :lol: :twisted: :lol:

My trip has been a learning experience. Trial and error. I'm totally new at this and sure wish I could tag along with an experienced Tenkara fisherman. (anyone out there visiting Hawaii and want to try for peacock bass? you can bring your own Tenkara rod... they are easy to travel with) ;)

I am writing a story for our local fish publications and in the planning stage of a trip for the TV show I use to host.
We may not sell a whole bunch of rods in Hawaii for you... but there won't be any fisherman in the state that hasn't heard of the Tenkara rod.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby OarsnPaddle » Sun Sep 05, 2010 6:39 pm

I have opened two threads on other forums. Being Danish and (making a) living in Denmark, and having never fished before, I figured I'd start some threads asking stupid questions.

The first thread was on the UK Tenkara forum, uk-tenkara.proboards.com, and it was a big disappointment to say the least. Me and this other bloke, Chris, were the only ones there (seriously!), and noone answered our respective posts. We found each other, and I think I have talked him into joining here.

The second thread was on a more general forum, namely songofthepaddle.co.uk, which is a canoeing forum, but some people fish from their canoes and kayaks, and I myself have a row boat. Most people there loves camping and being outdoors, and it has a lot of members. I thought, that maybe, just maybe, someone would know about Tenkara. They didn't.

I do have reservations about a "company driven" forum, even if it is "just" Daniel. With that said, Daniel's company is a small one, and this very forum excudes love of all things Tenkara, not just rods and items from TenkaraUSA. It's very laid back, and I like that.

Even if I didn't like it, there really aren't any other places to go. I have searched high and low for something outside of the US, preferably a European forum, but I really don't think there's a big enough base to sustain several "general" Tenkara forums, be they inside of the US or outside. There's a few blog sites out there, but I want to interact, not merely comment, if that makes sense.

So, in short, huge cudos to Daniel for making this forum as it is. From across the Atlantic it's still the best there is.
OarsnPaddle

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sun Sep 05, 2010 10:18 pm

Stan, thanks for spreading the word in Hawaii! Just the fact that people there will know about tenkara really makes me happy. That is after all my main goal, rod sales, well, as long as I can make a living and still fish some, I'm happy.

Oars, many thanks for the compliments and for continuing to participate on this forum from that side of the atlantic. Hopefully you may connect with others on our international section as people learn about it. If you want a sub-forum particular to your region, just let me know.

I understand the "business-operated" forum thing, but as I said, my main goal really is to let people know about tenkara more than anything, so I'll always strive to keep this forum as open as possible. To be honest I never expected to have so many discussions, I never really participated in forums myself, but am thrilled with the quality of this one. Today we have 5313 posts! Just incredible.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby OarsnPaddle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:25 am

Thanks, Daniel, but I think Denmark, or even Scandinavia is too small an area with too little a base to support a subforum. Just keep going as is, it's working fine :)
OarsnPaddle

Postby papa d » Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:41 am

OarsnPaddle wrote:Thanks, Daniel, but I think Denmark, or even Scandinavia is too small an area with too little a base to support a subforum. Just keep going as is, it's working fine :)

Besides where else would you get someone to insult you right off the start? ;) You are right, this is a very easy going forum. And fun talking to you.
Incidentally Oars i went for the Ayu and 13 ft line after talking with Daniel (as you did) . Figure i can always pull a few sections in for tight stuff. Threads do get stolen a lot and alls fine. I like that, as i just did it here although not totally off topic.
papa d

Postby OarsnPaddle » Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:21 am

He he, yup :)

Congrats on your choice, PD
OarsnPaddle

Postby tnitz » Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:18 am

I finally decided to be less selfish and tried to explain to my good friend and fly shop owner here in town why I really thought he should look into tenkara and consider carrying some rods. It was almost as if I were insulting his fishing style and it quickly became apparent that I needed to end the conversation. Nothing he said actually made any sense and he's not stupid and I rely heavily on his advice (he owned the guide business for many years as well). But just opening up the topic was like turning a switch in his mind. I decided never to mention it again! The good news, for me anyway, is that it's unlikely any major population of locals or visitors will find ways to fish the currently underfished rivers I've been fishing.

None of this is new, and I suspect you've all faced it. Last weekend I was up in the Eagle Cap wilderness and spent the evenings listening to podcasts. One was on wet fly fishing (don't remember who it was now or which program) but he was describing in perfect detail what we hear and see, only from the perspective of wet flys themselves. He said he's been around long enough to know that most of what is going on are fads and that few alive today were around when wet flys were the norm - nymphing took over. And I believe him, most of the books I read and learned from are classics when that stuff was still common. Probably one reason I don't nymph.

Bottom line is that it's unlikely that we are going to convince many people to try it unless we take them to the river and put a rod in their hands. We are fighting preconceptions about gear and flies that are so ingrained today that it's just crazy to me. And the funny thing about it to me is that I only get maybe 10% of my strikes on dead drifts (and no-one now can suggest I am not dead drifting given my tenkara gear). The fish want action, I am a firm believer in that now. I have more luck break all kinds of rules and working cross current even or doing stuff that doesn't make any sense, so long as the fly is moving. Maybe there are waters that do require dead drifts, I don't know.

I did discover one area that no-one would deny is a great use for tenkara gear yesterday. The October Caddis were out and there was nothing better to skate caddis. Nothing. I was amazed at how I could actually control even the angle of the fly on the water! And the downstream wind was such that I was engaged in some dapping without intending to.

Bottom line is this - I am enjoying my tenkara gear alot and exploring it. Even if I grow out of it, I am already finding that my fly fishing with conventional gear is different - it's better. From that aspect alone, I really think all fly fishermen should be required to spend time with tenkara gear to learn what they are doing. I really do. They could even learn to make fast clicking sounds with their tongues if they miss the reel so much.
tnitz

Previous

Return to About Tenkara