Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The Tenkara Community

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

The Tenkara Community

Postby pszy22 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 am

I've been flip flopping on this for a while, was wondering if anyone else had any thoughts.

Would you like to see the Tenkara "Community" grow, or does having a small fairly close knit group of practitioners have an appeal?

What got me thinking is this forum is probably my favorite forum on the web, due to the high quality of the knowledge and wisdom of the forum participants. I think that may always be the case, if you want a knowledgeable answer or discussion regarding things Tenkara, this is the place to come.

Of course, on the other hand, things Tenkara are limited to those who already know about things Tenkara. If folks would like to see the Tenkara community grow, I think it would be beneficial to see Tenkara related conversations on other broader focused forums.

I'm guessing the user community of this forum encompasses 90 some % of people who currently fish Tenkara in the U.S. In other words, this forum preaches to the choir. Having discussion on some other forums would be one way to expose other folks who have never heard about Tenkara, and might enjoy it if they tried it.

Just doing some rough math, there are probably about 300 users on this site. A site like the North American Fly Fishing forum has about 18,000 members.

More or less out of curiosity, I posted and inquiry on the North American Fly Fishing forum
http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/index.php if there would be interest in having a Tenkara discussion topic. The inquiry got one reply, from the infamous Jack *** (you fll in the blank) who's wittingly replied Tenkara is just another name for a cane pole.

It's probably not a big deal one way or another. I think those of us who are on this forum enjoy sharing things we enjoy. I guess the question is do we want to share with a close circle, or a larger group of acquaintances?
Last edited by pszy22 on Wed Mar 10, 2010 3:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
pszy22

Re: The Tenkara Community

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:04 am

I would like to see it grow and I'm not ashamed to admit that my feeling is primarily selfish - I want to learn more about tenkara. Tricks and techniques that I never would have thought of will bubble to the surface as more and more anglers with different backgrounds take up tenkara.

Along the way, I'm perfectly happy to share my experiences. I think we can all learn more with a free exchange of ideas.

Ah, yes, I have crossed lines (and cross words, I guess) with Jackste* myself. I probably don't do tenkara any favors by losing my temper and making snide remarks - but I think it's important to offer an experienced view to someone who is honestly seeking information.

I suppose anyone who is interested in tenkara will find this site and by being able to freely read through all the comments gain a pretty good feel for tenkara as practiced in the US.

Within the community of fly fishers, we will always be a relatively small fairly close knit group - but I for one don't think we should try to keep it closed and clubby.
CM_Stewart

Postby pszy22 » Tue Mar 09, 2010 10:03 am

Chris,

I strongly agree with everything you said. Particularly -

"I suppose anyone who is interested in tenkara will find this site and by being able to freely read through all the comments gain a pretty good feel for tenkara as practiced in the US."

The point as I see it, it's hard to know you are interested in tenkara if you've never heard of tenkara. If indeed growth is a good thing, more people need to hear about it so they can determine if they are interested.

Probably as with most things, growth has it's good and bad points.
pszy22

Postby jbenenson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:10 pm

As far as I know TenkaraUSA is the only web site offering tenkara rods, etc. in this country. It is definitely in Daniel's interest to have the tenkara experience have a wider audience; after all I learned about it by seeing a full page 4-color display ad. The more that we can do to promote the art (sport, Zen practice, etc.) the better.

There will always be cynics! I was in a rod shop recently where the owner said that tenkara is just another form of high-sticking. I smiled and said "No it isn't, it's a lot more. You should try it." I met one of the guides from that same shop at a Tai Chi workshop for fly fishers; we were delighted to find that we both enjoy tenkara. The very next day we went fishing together and while the fish were few, the enjoyment was spectacular. We are learning from the experience and from one another. That's all I need.

There will be others who refer to it as glorified cane pole fishing, but the same people look at longbow hunting and telemark skiing as ridiculous too. IMHO, that's their problem. I don't really care about what others think. Tenkara has a life of its own; where that leads the future will tell.

In the mean time I thoroughly enjoy this forum, meaning you. You're a great bunch of people coming together to share tenkara knowledge and experiences and to help each other get the most from it. IMHO there is nothing better.
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby rsetina » Tue Mar 09, 2010 9:28 pm

I have to agree with what's been said so far. I would love to see our community grow and I've openly shared my experience in other forums with good response. On our last trip up north we had the opportunity to share Tenkara with an owner of a fly shop we stopped at to get directions and pick up a few flies. I didn't convince him to give up his western fly rods nor to give Tenkara a try, but the seed may have been planted. You never know.

I talk fishing all the time with my customers at work. If I'm not there one day, I get asked if I was fishing the next time I see them. They all know I'm a fly fisherman and if they are anglers too, you know I've talked to them about Tenkara. Plant the seeds and they will grow. You may not even know they took root, but when our little community grows, you may be the reason why.

I like what Chris said.

"Within the community of fly fishers, we will always be a relatively small fairly close knit group - but I for one don't think we should try to keep it closed and clubby."

I whole heartedly agree!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby blatt1970 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:33 am

:D
Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow!
Here in Brazil fly fishing community is very tiny if compared to US.
Tenkara was unknown a few days ago but i see its potential.
We don't have trout but we do have a lot of people addicted to fish for small fish in
tight streams.
I guess these guys will love Tenkara and have friends that want to give it a try!

image from: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/
blatt1970

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:25 pm

You're a great bunch of people coming together to share tenkara knowledge and experiences and to help each other get the most from it. IMHO there is nothing better.
I completely agree, and am VERY proud to have one of the nicest online communities I have seen. Thank you all for making this forum a success from the beginning and to continue growing it and welcoming newcomers from its small size.

Of course I have an interest in making the forum and the tenkara. But, mostly I'm just happy to share this method of fishing with others. I think it's a fascinating method and it surprises me it wasn't known before, I just had to take it upon myself to do it. But, at the same time there is more to it than money and growth. I know that I, and likely most users of this forum, love tenkara for what it is: simple, and a relaxing way of fishing. I never feel the need to strongly "convince" someone this is the best way to fish because I know it's a great method, but sometimes it's important to clarify what tenkara is or isn't. I don't like having misconceptions perpetuated.

Even though I own the company, I actually think in the same lines as Mr. Benenson, "There will be others who refer to it as glorified cane pole fishing, but the same people look at longbow hunting and telemark skiing as ridiculous too. IMHO, that's their problem. I don't really care about what others think. Tenkara has a life of its own; where that leads the future will tell." I have completely gotten over the fear that tenkara could turn into a fad. It is here to stay. And, with time, its adoption by those who truly enjoy angling, and those who fish in small mountain streams will continue to grow.

Some people will get it, many will be intrigued, and some without an open mind will simply not get it. I'd love to welcome ALL that are curious, intrigued and open to new things, and it goes without saying I'd like to see more people doing it, but I will not go far out of my way to convince anyone that it is an enjoyable method of fishing.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby jbenenson » Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:08 pm

Mr. Benenson? Thanks for the formality Mr Galhardo, but nobody gets away with calling me that for too long. :D

Jim
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby Adam Trahan » Thu Mar 18, 2010 6:12 pm

Daniel is the reason why this site is so friendly however it is each of us that contributes to that.

I really want to wax eloquently on this but it is not my place.

Thanks to Daniel for introducing me to tenkara.

So cool.
Adam Trahan

Postby pszy22 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:01 pm

Some other forums/forum-masters should take a lesson from Daniel regarding how to conduct a forum. A good example was set from the beginning, as new people join, they conform to a level of etiquette, decorum and respect.

Thanks Daniel.
pszy22

Next

Return to About Tenkara