Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Is Tenkara legal in Pennsylvania

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Is Tenkara legal in Pennsylvania

Postby mnbvcxz » Wed Mar 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi All
New guy here,I'm getting very interested in this style of fishing but before I buy a outfit I would like to know if it is legal in pa fly fishing only areas? On another forum a post was made saying----

The following is a paragraph is drawn from page 10, bottom left hand corner, of the 2010 PA Fishing Summary of Regulations and Laws;

CATCH AND RELEASE FLY-FISHING ONLY

"Fishing must be done with tackle limited to fly rods, fly reel, and fly line with a maximum of 18 feet in leader material or monofilament line attached. Spinning, spincast, and casting rods and reels are prohibited."

Take notice of the requirement for a "fly reel, and fly line" with a maximum of 18 feet in leader. Sounds pretty clear that Tenkara would be illegal tackle on any Commonwealth waters that are maintained as C&R Fly-Fishing Only..

So is it legal in your opion?

Best

John Dunn
mnbvcxz

Re: Is Tenkara legal in Pennsylvania

Postby gentleshepherd » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:04 pm

John,

I have used my Tenkara Rod on C&R streams with no issue and having the warden watch me while I did.

Also, check out the regulation section on this forum, PA is an approved state.

Welcome aboard!
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby troutrageous1 » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:06 pm

It is. If you do a little bit of digging, you'll find a post in this forum that states it. Believe it even quotes an email communication.

I also independently emailed the PFBC to ask and a gentleman called me back on the phone and told me it was...they consider it fly fishing and would be legal on any special regulation water that western fly fishing is. Unfortunately like I said, that was a phone call and I don't have a document stating as such, but considering all of the unlicensed poachers out snagging fish in the state, I don't think you'll have any issues.

There's more than a few of us from PA on here...we can all go down together!!! :D
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby CM_Stewart » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:19 pm

Just to be safe, it would probably be wise to print out a copy of the email that the commission sent to Daniel viewtopic.php?f=21&t=97

There is no guarantee that a warden would know that tenkara is legal, but if you can show him a copy of the email, he would be less likely to ticket you first and ask questions later. Besides, he might be able to contact Mr. Bridi and ask his questions first.

However, the 18' leader length may still apply. Most tenkara anglers use a line shorter than that so you probably wouldn't have a problem, but I'd make sure my line was shorter than 18'.
CM_Stewart

Postby mnbvcxz » Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks for the reply's fellows, and Mr Stewart ,Thanks for backing me up on the other post on Trout Nut :)

Best

John
mnbvcxz

Postby troutrageous1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:41 pm

Saw the thread on Troutnut...it's a shame. Most folks I talk to about tenkara are at first interested at the "oddity" of no reel, then after seeing the rod up close, very accepting. Your thread looks like another example of the insular (yet vocal) fly fishing minority rearing its ugly head.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Return to About Tenkara