Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Yamama line for all around fishing

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Yamama line for all around fishing

Postby cmeade82 » Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm

Thinking about getting the Yamama, seems to be a good all around rod. For genral fishing should I use traditional line or level line
cmeade82

Re: Yamama line for all around fishing

Postby tsegelke » Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:36 am

That is going to be a personal choice. I like the traditional lines, but they do not have the flexability of changing line length. I believe they do cast better though.
tsegelke

Postby adventureR » Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:22 pm

Yamame will cast traditional and heavy level lines equally well. I would suggest the 10.5' or 13' traditional and 4.5 high vis level line. The trad. line at 10.5' will be very nice for easy fly first presentation. If I was starting over from the beginning I would want both furled and level line. I agree with tsegelke sometimes a longer reach is necessary with level line to customize your reach. If it's one or the other I'd say level line. But if you can I'd get both, trad. line is very nice to cast.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby vivid_fly » Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:01 pm

I recently purchased a Yamame. I use level line #3.2 with great results. Casting feels very precise and really love the balanced feel of this rod. Feels much lighter than my AMAGO.

I have not tried my trad line yet.
AMAGO 13'6"
YAMAME 12'
IWANA 12'
vivid_fly

Postby tntom » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:30 am

12' to 18' of Tenkara USA Hi-Vis Yellow 4.5 level line works very well for my Yamame. For nymph fishing I use 8' of 4.5 yellow.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby brian.nann » Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:51 pm

I have a Yamame also and it's the only rod I fish with at the moment and I have a no complaints what so ever about the rod. I use 3.5 level line. You should be all good. Go for it!
http://openspacez.tumblr.com/
brian.nann

Return to About Tenkara