Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

"Father of the modern tenkara in Japan ",Yamaoto Soseki

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Re: "Father of the modern tenkara in Japan ",Yamaoto Soseki

Postby Kiyoshi » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:42 pm

No-tarin club 2
There are three Purpose of the Club.
1:Kooking for “Tutinoko” that is a kind of snake.
Titinoko is dangerous because of poisonous snake. But nobody knows ,it is true or not.

2:Looking for “Japanese Wolf”
Japanese Wolf is died out in 1905. The last wolf was found at Yosino area in Nara Pre.
Cause of death was called by distemper and hydrophbia.

3:Study of distribution Iwana and Yamame and Amago,

I am the last person who enter this club.

To be continued

Kiyoshi
Kiyoshi

Postby Eddie » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:05 am

Let me add some information, Kiyoshi.
If it contains incorrect information, please correct.

When No-tarin (foolish) club was established in 1964, Japan was in its economic high-growth period and most Japanese were obsessed to seek material satisfaction or economical success. At that time, No-tarin club seemed to be established to seek spiritual satisfaction, aiming the discovery of those animals that were thought to be extinct or just imaginary, and aiming the propagation of economically valueless mountain stream fish.

No wonder, the name of the club was No-tarin (foolish) club.

Tsuchinoko (ツチノコ):
A Tsuchinoko was thought to have deadly poison, but who knows, nobody had been bit by one.
Some people still believe in the Tsuchinoko, and is seeking it.
http://www.google.co.jp/search?hl=ja&sa ... 90&bih=792

Japanese wolf (日本オオカミ):
The Japanese wolf really lived in Japan, but it was thought to have long gone extinct by "cleaver" people.
Eddie

Postby Kiyoshi » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:52 am

No-tarin Club 2
I can not tell Soseki without No-tarin Club.
No-tarin club was oraganaized by looking for "Tutinoko(ツチノコ)"!
Tutinoko is a kind of snake that is not appeared by reptile illustrated book all over the world.
But quite a few pepople found tutinoko in Japan.
Tutinoko has a lot of stories.One person says tutinoko is a poisonous snake,but other person says not poisonous snake.
Å lot of infomation came to No-tarin Club about tutinoko.
But after all, tutinoko is not discovered yet.
That is mystery.

Soseki and No-tarin menbers belived tutinoko live absolutely in Japan.
Kiyoshi

Postby Kiyoshi » Wed Feb 15, 2012 5:26 pm

No-tarin Club 4
When Soseki wrote the book "Escpe tschinoko( 逃げろ ツチノコ)” in 1973, Soseki and NO-tarin menberrs finished for seeking tschinoko.
Because tschinoko was object for business.Soseki and No-tarin menbers disliked it.
We No-tarian never think that tschinoko is object for business.
And we No-tarian hoped that tschinoko is never discoverd.
The value of nature, animals,plants is more important than economical value for us, Norarian suppose.
Kiyoshi

Postby jayfisher » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:50 am

Kiyoshi,
Thank you for your on-going history of Soseki Yamamoto. The discussion of tsuchinoko and the Japanese wolf is fascinating.

Eddie,
Thank you for adding your extra material and links that very much enrich this history!

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby Eddie » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:10 am

I clearly remember the situation about tsuchinokos in the 70’s. It was a kind of national obsession like the Nessie in the UK, the Yeti in Himaraya, and the Bigfoot in the North America. A lot of newspapers, magazines, and TV shows often covered the topics of searching tsuchinokos.

I hear from the current president of No-tarin club that the members were invited, more than once, as guests to TV shows featuring the topics about searching tsuchinokos. One time, one TV show found out an old temple that kept a skeleton of a tsuchinoko, and offered the temple to show the skeleton at the TV show. The temple refused the offer at first for the reason that the skeleton was a secret treasure of the temple. But the temple eventually accepted the strong offer of the TV show.

Guess what happened at the TV show that the members attended! The secret treasure skeleton was exhibited at the show, and during the show they had a phone call from a person from a museum who watched the show. The person from a museum said “We have the same skeleton in our museum. That is a cat skeleton.” All the TV persons and the person from the temple lost their faces in front of a lot of viewers. The person from the temple got especially upset since the long kept treasure of the temple was proven to be just a cat, due to the show.

The president of the No-tarin club says that much information was sent to the club from many places, and every time they received such information, they went those places to confirm the existence of tsuchinokos, but they always failed to confirm it.

In the mean time, the search for a tsuchinoko got to be taken advantage of for a commercial purpose, and the members got fed up with the fad in such manner. Then, Soseki finally wrote the book shouting “Get away! Tsuchinoko (逃げろツチノコ)” (the title of the book), and gave up the search.

Amazon, 逃げろツチノコ
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E9%80%83%E3%81 ... 332&sr=1-1

The search for a tsuchinoko has been continued in some places until now, and some local towns offer a reward for discovery of a tsuchinoko, for example:

Chigusa town: $2,500,000 (unfortunately withdrawn in 2005)
Higashi Shirakawa village: $15,000

Eddie
Eddie

Postby Kiyoshi » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:39 pm

Real No-tarin 4
I am sorry Imade a mistake. Yesterday I wrote No-tarin 4. However it is wrong. It is No-tarin 3.
Thank you Eddie,for your follow me about tsuchinko and No-tarinclub explanation.
The action of Soseki and No-tarin Club is real culturaral revolution, I suppose.
So the name of No-tarin Club was very famous in those days in Japan.
Seiko Tanabe who was a very famaous wooman writer wrote "Subette Koronde(すべって ころんで”.
The model of "Subette Koronde” was Soseki and No-tarin menbers.
It was written by Asahi-Shinbun(朝日新聞)that is a big newspaper company in Japan.
As a consequence, the name of No-tarin Club was popular in Japan
Kiyoshi

Postby dwalker » Thu Feb 16, 2012 9:21 pm

I like stories with pictures. :)

To add some images about the people and creatures being discussed and to see if I am following this story correctly. Perhaps some of this will be interesting.

Soseki Yamamoto , 山本素石, was a member of the No-tarin (foolish) club, ノータリンクラブ .

This club along with doing other things, looked for rare animals, the Japanese wolf and also looked for the mythical Tsuchinoko. A snake like creature that is either very rare or may not exist.

Soseki Yamamoto later wrote a book 完本・逃げろツチノコ about his escape from the obession with the Tsuchinoko. “Get Away Tsuchinoko”.

The book on Amazon 完本・逃げろツチノコ

A creature that may or may not be real:
Picture of a model of the mythical Tsuchinoko , ツチノコ. From Wikipedia.

http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E3%83%84%E3%83%81%E3%83%8E%E3%82%B3

There were many people who were " Preoccupied with the Tsuchinoko " .

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fblog.goo.ne.jp%2Fnozuchi2007

The story of Soseki Yamamoto giving up the pursuit of the Tsuchinoko seems to be central to why or how he become the Father of Modern Tenkara ?

A poor translation but some information about Soseki can be understood and it gives us a picture of the man whose story we are learning about.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.geocities.co.jp%2FOutdoors-River%2F2284%2Fnew_page_11.htm

A picture of Soseki , on the left I think, and another man when he was younger.

Found here:

http://yoshidakebari.jugem.jp/?day=20100311

Lately. A collection of books about fishing in Japan. I think Soseki Yamamoto wrote 7 of the books on this web page. (Just click edit and find (his name as it is translated) , stone elementary
, to highlight the books where he is listed as author). The translations of the book titles and descriptions are probably not correct but it should give you a hint of the subjects and the scope of his writing.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ja&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww41.tok2.com%2Fhome%2Ftentoumusi%2Fama%2Fturikata%2Fhonhon%2Fhon.htm

Including this title 『てんから Fishing 毛鉤つりのすべて』That I think translates as 'All About Tenkara Fly Fishing' or something similar.

I wait with interest to learn how Soseki moved from chasing Tsuchinoko to chasing mountain stream fish. :)
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Kiyoshi » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:32 am

No-tarin 5
When Iwas young man, I sent a letter and fly to Soseki.
I asked Soseki. What do you think that I can catch fish by this fly?
He quickly answered to me. He said that I was sure you could catch fish.
I was very mauch pleased at getting his answer.
Because Soseki was a prince of tenkara in those days.
Then I hoped that I went fishing with Soseki and No-tarin Club menbers.
I wanted to watch the scene that fish was caught by fly.
Of course, I didn't do tenkara yet in old days.
A very long time passed to be able to catch fish for me!
Kiyoshi

Postby Kiyoshi » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:40 am

No-tarin 6
Quite a few readers of "Turi-no-tomo(釣の友)” were facinated by Soseki's articles.
Of course, I was one of them. So I hoped like fishing of Soseki and No-tarin menbees.
I thought I wanted to enter No-tarin club some day.
And I would join with them to go fishing.
But what I could enter No- tarin club was some severe conditions.
So it was very difficult to enter it.
Then about more 20 years passed after Soseki's death.
I met the second leader of NO-tarin club.Amago(天子) Sanjin(山人).
It was just an accident that we met.
Amago Sanjin and I start to conpanionship of many years.
Kiyoshi

PreviousNext

Return to About Tenkara