Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

American Angler Nov09 article

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

American Angler Nov09 article

Postby chtyrr » Fri Oct 16, 2009 7:21 pm

The current American Angler has a nice article about Tenkara.
Chuck

Tenkara is to flyfishing what the hot air balloon is to aviation.
chtyrr

Re: Magazine article

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Oct 19, 2009 8:42 am

Oh, cool. Would anyone be able to scan/take a picture of the article? I'm dying to read it, bu don't currently subscribe to it.
Thanks
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Wupperfischer » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:09 am

I am very interested in a copy as well.
Wupperfischer

Postby chtyrr » Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:33 am

Daniel
I emailed it to you this morning. If it did not come through, let me know. It was the first time for me to use this scanner for that. :?

Chuck
Chuck

Tenkara is to flyfishing what the hot air balloon is to aviation.
chtyrr

Re: American Angler Nov09 article

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:16 pm

For those who have read the article on tenkara, in the new (November) issue of American Angler. What are your thoughts on it?

I thought the persistent references to dapping and to "no casting" were unwarranted, and probably based on reading some of the online forums, sadly not based on experience or communication with actual tenkara anglers. Do most people really dap with the rods? I think actual casting is a very important part of tenkara and hardly ever choose to dap.

Also, one correction: there is a reference to tenkara being a method adapted from the method of Samurai anglers, Ayu fishing, which is innacurate. They both are likely to have been developed separately.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:05 pm

dwgalhardo wrote:For those who have read the article on tenkara, in the new (November) issue of American Angler. What are your thoughts on it?

I thought the persistent references to dapping and to "no casting" were unwarranted, and probably based on reading some of the online forums, sadly not based on experience or communication with actual tenkara anglers. Do most people really dap with the rods? I think actual casting is a very important part of tenkara and hardly ever choose to dap.

Also, one correction: there is a reference to tenkara being a method adapted from the method of Samurai anglers, Ayu fishing, which is innacurate. They both are likely to have been developed separately.

I have to agree with you on the "dapping and no casting". Very unwarranted. The only "dapping" I do is if there's a eddy that has faster current next to it and I want to keep the fly in the eddy. And then I may not even dap the fly. I'd just cast it and hold it there. Sherry did some dapping this weekend and had success doing so. But that's only a small part of Tenkara.

If anyone has not looked up Ayu fishing, you should read up on what it is and you'll find it has nothing to do with Tenkara in my view. My first rod was the Ayu and I was curious to know what the word meant. Ayu is a fish and the method of fishing for them is quite interesting.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Anthony » Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:11 pm

I just received my first Tenkara rod last week and haven't had a chance to give it a trial run yet - but if "dapping" were the only appeal, I surely wouldn't have bought one. When I try to explain what Tenkara is - dapping is what everyone seems to think. The article didn't help in that respect.

I guess - we'll just have to get out there, fishing and casting and catching fish and let folks see what it's really about.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Postby rsetina » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:11 am

Just think how much fun it will be educating the angling public on how this is not dapping. Now get out there and teach. ;)
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby LMarshall » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:58 am

dwgalhardo wrote:Do most people really dap with the rods? I think actual casting is a very important part of tenkara and hardly ever choose to dap.

FYI I haven't read the article yet, but I find the consistent misconception on the part of many fly anglers that tenkara is just "dapping" quite regrettable. Don't knock it till you've tried it! :)

I also hardly ever dap, this is usually something I only do in very tight quarters where I don't have room for a backcast, or even quite enough forward room for a roll cast or bow and arrow cast. It also seems that many fly anglers have decided that fly fishing without the ability to cast long graceful loops to be intrinsically less rewarding. I enjoy western fly-casting too, just as much as I do tenkara casting; it's just different. With tenkara, where I have the room, I cast my line on a very steep plane using a short casting motion so that only the fly and tippet land in the water. I think a lot of other tenkara anglers do this as well. It allows you to achieve pinpoint accuracy and cast to targets in pocket water with impunity, achieving long drag free drifts. The whole experience of fishing with the ability to put your fly exactly where you want it within inches, and then not to have to worry about drag, is just plain fun. I often get distracted from fishing and end up seeing how far I can push the envelope with casting "target practice" just for the fun of it.
LMarshall

Postby donaldstewart@insightbb.com » Sun Nov 01, 2009 2:23 pm

I was gone last week and just read my copy of the article in the American Angler-Nov/Dec issue.

The author - Zach Matthews missed on several things. Hopefully on the Corrections-that was from the previous issue was on the bottom of the article on page 9.

He keep referring to the Tenkara Rods as being Graphite - instead of Carbon based. This is not Dapping - Not Czech nymphing.

I have to give him credit that is effective for Warmwater species and would be a great product to introduce not only Kids----but also adults!

I purchased an Iwana Rod, Line Holder, Furled Line, Tippet, 2 different types of flies for just under 200.00. That is a minimal investment for an excellent product and to put you immediately on the water. BY THE WAY DANIEL - THANKS FOR BRINGING TO MARKET A GREAT PRODUCT!!!
donaldstewart@insightbb.com

Next

Return to About Tenkara