Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

The tenkara community part II

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

The tenkara community part II

Postby heineken » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:37 pm

I was reading a line about the tenkara community from last summer. I had exactly the same reactions, in Holland, fom the western fly casters that you did in an open discussion about tenkara. I was tackled right away" slapping flies in the water with a pole" etc . As it turned out the most resistance came from other (web) dealers that don't sell equipment for this type of fishing. But after a solid discussion and making my points there stood up a few people that were truely interested. In order to reach them you have to bend with the snow like bamboo in winter let it slide of and inspire the ones that feel drawn to this fantastic way of flyfishing
Keep talking inspired about tenkara and more people will see how much fun this really is.
regards
Hein.
heineken

Re: The tenkara community part II

Postby rsetina » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:03 pm

That's what I have found to to be true. Be enthusiastic about Tenkara and those who see the reality of it's simplicity and how much fun it really is will catch the vision.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:33 pm

There is a well known marketing concept that talks about the "adoption curve" of any product.
Early there are the innovators, then the early adopters. Everyone in this forum is in this category. These are the people that get it quickly, and are not afraid of trying something new. They have been looking for for something to solve a problem, in this case to simplify their fly fishing.
If the product passes the quality/usefulness/need test, then it starts moving up to the next group of adopters. We are starting to get at that phase. Typically they are the people who were intrigued a few months ago, not quite sold on it, but not "anti" either. They started hearing from their friends that tenkara works, that it is not a gimmick, and are now starting to adopt tenkara on their own.
Later there are the late adopters. These may have been people who were skeptical, and maybe even said it wasn't for them. But, the advantages became too clear, people they respected talked too much about it, and they couldn't resist it.
And finally, there will be the people who give in and slowly start trying it.

It's really funny to have studied these concepts in school, and now clearly seeing them in real life.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:53 pm

An interesting concept. I see how it applies to us.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Return to About Tenkara