Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara character

Tenkara is a new type of fishing to the US, and information (particularly in English) is sparse. This is the place to build a knowledge base of Tenkara.

Tenkara character

Postby eagles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:16 am

I was wondering Daniel , the Japanese character your using, does that in itself mean Tenkara in the Japanerse language and is it used by the fisherman in Japan to mean Tenkara fishing as well ? If not what would they say it says ? Is it an old character or somthing designed for this site etc ? When I try and find the worde Tenkara In the Japanese translations I often find quite a few characters for various meanings . Thanks .
eagles

Re: Tenkara character

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:42 am

The characters for tenkara, which we use on our rods and a few other things, are the ones used in Japanese and the only ones used to describe tenkara fishing(from the katakana syllabary): テンカラ
These characters, from katakana, actually don't have a meaning. They are used for phonetical representations, normally of foreign words or words not commonly used. Phonetically, the word "tenkara" could mean a lot of different things, the most common interpretation is that originally it was supposed to mean "from the skies". Now the only real meaning to these characters is the method of fishing tenkara.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby eagles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:48 am

Ok Thank you very much . But the line you wrote has more characters and it seems you are using just the first one . So does just the first part also mean Tenkara or must you use the entire line ? Sorry, just trying to understand it as best as I can . If I wrote Japanese and was wriitng about Tenkara in Japan but only used the character your using would any Japanese person read that and know it was Tenkara with out the rest of that line ?
eagles

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:29 pm

Bill, unlike the Chinese characters (Kanji), which are also used in Japanese and often one character = one word, tenkara is written with 4 characters. Neither of these characters means anything by itself, and the character in our logo, which is only pronounced "Te" does not mean anything by itself. We used that for our logo and テ is currently our trademark.

Tenkara is always written with 4 characters:
テ -te
ン -n
カ -ka
ラ -ra
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby eagles » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:18 pm

Ok thanks now it makes sense as I thought maybe that one letter had some significance to Tenkara by itself but understand it is a company TM.
eagles

Postby dwalker » Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:49 am

fwiw - the term テンカラ appears to always refer to fishing.
But another way of spelling tenkara often shows up in relation to tenkara fishing.

テンカラ = tenkara , てんから= ten kara
てん = ten = heaven
から = kara = from
Thus てんから = heaven from, ie heaven sent. Sometimes you read that the name tenkara derived from ' flies from heaven' or 'flies from the sky". So this spelling makes sense. :)

Searching with this term results in a lot of tenkara fishing hits, as well as hits on babies, and food, etc. As in a child is sent from heaven, or food taste heavenly. ;)

Here is one web site, which uses the term てんから釣り, ten kara tsuri, ie tenkara fishing- in its title. You can see it at the top of the web page. Links on the right side to a tutorial on tenkara fishing, however, all use the other term テンカラ for tenkara, why the change? :?
http://kamihusa.biz/

てん から毛鉤 = ten kara kebari = flies from heaven

テンカラ竿 = tenkara sao , ie tenkara pole & てん から竿 = ten kara sao , ie rod from heaven,
both give interesting search results for tenkara poles. Try each term in a google search and you find equally interesting search results. The hits will be much the same , but in a different order. :)

Another fun term is
テンカラのは何か , Tenkara no wa nani ka , ie what is tenkara

and of course:
逆さ毛鉤 flies upside down Sakasa kebari ( plural )
逆さ毛針 fly upside down Sakasa ke hari ( singular )

Japanese language can be kind of fun to play around with, there is another term I see often for reverse hackle flies, the term gets translated by google as 'cow lick' or if combined with other terms translated as ' in opposition', so same thing as reverse and I get similar search results for 'cow lick kebari' as I do for 'flies upside down' aka ' sakasa kebari'. :D
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jun 14, 2011 5:46 am

Japanese is quite an interesting language.
One thing about it is that words that are more uncommon, such as tenkara, can be written in hiragana or katakana. Tenkara has been popularized in katakana.
Similarly, the name of different fish can be written in hiragana, katakana, or kanji. Normally, however, they are written in katakana, even though they are native from here.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Return to About Tenkara