Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

New Mexico Bluegill II - New Lesson Learned

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

New Mexico Bluegill II - New Lesson Learned

Postby Vince_villavivencio » Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:48 am

Learned something new while fishing for Bluegill with a Tenkara Rod.

After I would cast out a floating fly (Itsabug - http://www.southeastflyfishingforum....nal-t5273.html) and letting it sit until the wave rings disappeared, I started to move the fly by tapping on the handle (such as described by Discover Tenkara - Ashtapa-zuri, https://vimeo.com/179307218). Note, Ashtapa-zuri => tap the ashes from a cigar.

I got lethargic big Bluegill chasing down the fly from 15 feet away.

Vinny

Picture1.jpg
Picture2.jpg
Picture2.jpg (42.95 KiB) Viewed 153 times
Vince_villavivencio

Re: New Mexico Bluegill II - New Lesson Learned

Postby dstevens_1 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:18 am

I had similar experience with one of my flip flop poppers recently.

I was using a furled line - just wanted to try it. The line would sink as was expected. Tapping the rod would not impart any action. I think it was due to the sinking line and the slack that created. However, gently shaking just the tip of the rod brought repeated strikes from a bass - about a pound or thereabouts. I witnessed what looked like a sort of 'drive by' strike as the bass grabbed the bug on the run.

I had a bit of trouble hooking up due to the slack and the soft action of the Sato rod. I eventually got my timing and hook set figured out.

The tip shake made the bug barely twitch and wiggle - more like a bug that falls into the water.

We may be on to something with the more subtle action of the bug. More research will be required. :)

Sent from my SM-G935U using Tapatalk
dstevens_1

Re: New Mexico Bluegill II - New Lesson Learned

Postby Vince_villavivencio » Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:14 am

I forgot to mention my rod set up that I used:

Rod: Tenkara USA Amago 13.5 ft.
Line: 10 ft. of 10 lbs. Maxima Chameleon (Brown) Mono
Tippet: 3.5 ft. of 5X TroutHunter Fluorocarbon Tippet

In the past, I used Tenkara Fluorocarbon level line that would sink. This time, I used the Maxima Chameleon for stealth, but also to prevent the leader from sinking. The Maxima Chameleon stays straight when you stretch it. I did have a little trouble with accuracy, so I think I'll use 12 lbs. Maxima Chameleon next time.

For lakes, when you want to float a fly or indicator, I've found that mono is a lot better than Tenkara Fluorocarbon level line.

Vinny
Vince_villavivencio

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.