Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Anyone tried?

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Anyone tried?

Postby plumberroy » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:22 pm

Anyone ever used leader material alone and small jigs on there tenkara rod ? I often camp and only carry a tenkara rod and a small cuban yoyo reel. This would allow me to get a jig down to late fall crappie . Without bringing another rod. I am talking 1/64th to 1/128th oz jigs
thanks
Roy
plumberroy

Re: Anyone tried?

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:21 pm

I haven't tried it myself. But in a Japan there is a fishing method called Lantern Fishing. I assume the name comes from a method for carrying a lantern hung from the end of a pole on a short string.

Typically the set up is a long rod, with .6m ~ 1.5m of tippet (or the same total length of line made from a piece of level line & tippet. You'll want to use some tippet to protect your rod should you hook a big fish) , and a fly, aka kebari.

When done with a tenkara rod you will most often find it called "Lantern Fly Fishing. 提灯毛鉤釣り ( Chōchin kebari-tsuri )

Or "Lantern Tenkara Fishing, ちょうちんテンカラ釣り ( Chō-chin tenkara tsuri ).

If done not using a fly, but a baited hook it probably would not be considered Tenkara , but rather a Keiryu (mountain stream) fishing method , ( 渓流ちょうちん釣り方法 , Keiryū chō-chin-tsuri hōhō ) that uses baited hooks.

If you do a google search with any of those 3 Japanese phrases you can find pictures of how those rigs are set up, that should mostly be understandable with out knowing how to read Japanese. A few videos might turn up too. A useful method for fishing small brushy streams.

Chris Stewart has an old blog post - Keiryu Techniques for Tenkara Anglers - that discusses this method, along with several others.

http://www.tenkarabum.com/keiryu-techniques-for-tenkara-anglers.html

So your idea is not new, people have fished with this method for years. A rod with a stiffer tip probably works better. Tenkara Bum's blog post probably offers the best English description of how it's done.

The good ole Cuban Yoyo fishing method is probably the only fishing method that is more basic than Tenlara. Eliminating the rod.

I have several. Started as a way to kayak fish. Earlier in the summer I purchased some Yoyito rigs to try, then didn't get to try them as much as I planned to while at the coast. The small diameter of the spools was a concern, wrapping on much less line for each wrap. But not much different from a 5 inch Yoyo .

Have you tried any of the Yoyito rigs ?

http://fishingyoyito.com/yoyito-fishing-kits/

I like the aluminum ones much more than the HT Urethane ones. However, they cost a little more & are a little heavier. But they are smoother, with no moulding bumps.

Maybe someone who has actually fished with this method will also reply.

fwiw,

David
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:48 pm

Here's a short video showing Lantern Kebari Fishing.

He caught an Iwana. I can't be certain but I think the rod used was a Daiwa DSG Tenkara rod. I think they were a 3.6m rod. Discontinued several years ago.

2015 4 27 提灯点釣 ( 2015 4 27 Chōchin-ten Tsuri ) 2015 4 27 Lantern Point Fishing (?)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BFoaQP0Z8CQ

Sorry, I can never remember how to embed videos on this forum.

D
dwalker

Postby dwalker » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:14 pm

Just for fun another short Lantern Fishing video.
I can't tell if he is using a Tenkara rod or a longer Keiryu rod. But he is using a fly, not a baited hook.

源流 岩魚釣り / 提灯釣り h27-1
Headwaters Iwana Fishing / Lantern Fishing h 27 - 1

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q0Z8q5FeGCo

Ah, here's one that appears to be bait fishing because he is using a marker ( 目印, mejirushi, sight marker) on the line. It was uploaded 4 weeks ago.

超源流のちょうちん釣り. Super Headwaters Lantern Fishing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0BHm80K6frw

目印糸釣り用 ( mejirushi Ito tsuri you, sight marker yarn for fishing)
目印の作り方 ( mejirushi no tsukuri kata, how to make a sight marker)

Using テンカラちょうちん釣り方法
(Tenkara Lantern Fishing Method )
as a google search phrase produces pretty good search results for finding lantern fishing videos.

Good luck with trying this method of fishing.
Hope someone with first hand experience replies.

D
dwalker

Postby plumberroy » Mon Jan 09, 2017 6:25 pm

:D hope you know you cost me money LOL I now have a aluminum yoyito reel. :D
plumberroy

Postby dwalker » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:16 pm

plumberroy wrote::D hope you know you cost me money LOL I now have a aluminum yoyito reel. :D

Sorry abut that. ;)

But, have you tried any of the various Lantern Fishing rigs, and had success fishing spots you could not before?

D
dwalker

Postby plumberroy » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:13 pm

I have fished small creeks with light line small hooks and local cut sampling often for years . I grew up roaming the hills of Appalachia . A piece of line wrapped around a fired shotgun shell (16 gauge filled with strike anywhere matches a 12 gauge over that sealed with black tape .) And a dime store tin of hooks we're part of my every day pocket stuff. Ate many a bluegill cooked over a open fire caught on a stick
Roy
plumberroy

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.