Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing in a lake with a canoe

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Fishing in a lake with a canoe

Postby MortenSJ » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:35 am

Hi guys

I'm pretty new to this Tenkara thing and one of the reason I got into it was because I could easily bring it when going camping. I'm going camping for the labor day weekend and thought it was a good chance for me to bring my newly purchased TUSA Sato Tenkara rod.

I'm going to a lake in the Adirondacks in New York. It's called Lake Eaton in case someone has heard about it?

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/24464.html

Fish in Lake Eaton: Lake trout, brook trout, white fish, smelt, smallmouth bass, sunfish, yellow perch, brown bullhead, sucker, rainbow salmon, and minnow.

I'm planning on getting a canoe and hopefully do some fishing from that. It's my first time trying this, so i'm not really sure how to approach this. Any techniques or tips i should know?

MortenSJ

Re: Fishing in a lake with a canoe

Postby cctkmiller » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:20 pm

We have family a bit south at Caroga Lake. Beautiful area, have fun.

I took the same approach with my fly-rod. I paddle up wind and fished it floating down, which resulted in zero, nothing. I would suggest, if not obvious haha, paddle away from the campers boaters and fish the banks and tree overhangs.
.cj
*Sato - First Tenkara and diggin' it!
cctkmiller

Postby flyfishbeck » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:07 am

My only recommendation is be wary of your balance. If your canoe seems slightly unstable while casting from the seat, it may be easier for you to kneel (if possible) in the bottom of the canoe to lower your center of gravity.

I had an Old Town Pack (Solo) canoe and quickly learned how one can over-correct and lose a reel, cell phone, and ring. My next trip included an outrigger. However, most canoes I've been in have been pretty stable (even with overweight paddlers, kids, dogs, etc.).

Overcompensation/correction is the quickest way to take an unwanted bath. Good luck and have fun!

-FFB
TUSA Sato (2015)
7:3 Willow and Cane (2015)
Runa Hisano Fujin 11.8' (2015)
(Too many Western rods to list.) (since 1990)
flyfishbeck

Postby Buff@fomoutfitters » Sat Sep 03, 2016 5:37 am

I guide out of a 3 man Oldtown. It is no problem fishing Tenkara with two people. If I am out with family the three of us can fish very easily. A problem that might cause frustration is the drifting and how the canoe can be blown around. Controlling a canoe and fishing at the same time can be a big challenge especially with a fly rod. This is where Tenkara shines. I can use the paddle with one hand and still cast with my other. When I guide though I am using oar locks and sitting in the middle seat. Let us know how you do!

Ryan "Buff" Ratliff
Mad River Outfitters
Fly Tying Manager
Fishing Guide

FOM Outfitters
Retreat Host
Guide
Buff@fomoutfitters

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.