Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing a lake stocked with Winter trout

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Fishing a lake stocked with Winter trout

Postby the4murrays » Fri Feb 06, 2015 12:26 pm

Hello all, I have a couple of questions for you. I plan to take my sons out and try to get them using a Tenkara rod. We have some local lakes here in Virginia that are stocked with trout during the Winter. I have never fished a lake with my Tenkara rod and am curious as to what fly one would recommend and the method one would fish (how do I move the fly around) for these trout. Once it warms up, I'll take my boys up the catch some wild brookies but for now the Lakes are calling our name. Any help/guidance would be great! Thanks!

Mike
the4murrays

Re: Fishing a lake stocked with Winter trout

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:44 pm

Hi Mike. When I fish tenkara in still water, I'm always happiest if I can sight fish. If I see a fish I just try to lead in and give the fly a subtle twitch or two and see how the fish reacts.

If I can't see fish, I do the same thing but try to target areas where I think the fish may be. I've used both sakasa style flies and western nymphs and small streamers effectively this way. Little (size 8 or smaller) wolley buggers seem to catch all kinds of fish everywhere for me.

It might be helpful to use a strike indicator if the water is cold, you may do better with very little or even no movement. Playing around with your retrieve can be one of the main sources to success in a lake. Also play around with how long you let your fly sink before twitching it back. Try to move your rod rhythmically and stay relatively tight to the fly, if possible.

Hope this helps you and your sons out. Local ponds can provide a great quick get away. Have fun!
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby delaneg » Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:21 pm

I am assuming you are going to be bank fishing; definitely use a strike indicator with the kids. Two to Three feet down from the indicator use a San Juan Worm, Snow Cone or a Yarn Egg pattern. Cast, sit and enjoy the scenery until the indicator disappears. Good Luck!
delaneg

Postby Colin_1 » Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:27 pm

I'm going to a FINS (Fishing In NeighborhoodS) trout stocked lake maybe this week. I was wondering the same thing as you. I've caught trout this fall and winter on a stocked fast moving stream but not fished for them on still water yet either. I'll be bank fishing there. I have a 15 ft furled nymph line from Riggs.com . It tapers and color shifts to a clear sinking fluorocarbon section then add tippet. I thought I'd use a Killer Bug for awhile. I've had great trout success with them. If things go quiet without a bite then I may cheat and put on an egg sized ball of that multicolored doughy looking trout bait stuff. Maybe on a #8 circle hook. I've never used it before but bought a tube off a discount table at Dick's Sporting Goods last summer. I also have some "Thingamabobbers" and might slip one on. All done these options might keep me fishing without missing my old style spinning rig. I'm hooked on Tenkara simplicity but because I live in Kentucky it has to be in different "colors". My warm water troutless Tenkara summers are from a kayak in back water stick ups. Some of you may throw Saki on me but I just discovered a rod at Walmart made by B&M. It's the Duck Commander telescoping pan fishing rod. It's 12 ft and the tip is only a .010" larger than the diameter of my Iwana tip. It's made of fiberglass and is around 6 oz. I fashioned a lillian to the tip ring , attached a 12 ft PVC floating line, 4 ft tippet with rubber spider (dehooked) and did some driveway casting. Works great! I was amazed! It's a $24 beater to teach the grandkids Tenkara STYLE fishing with. Check it out but don't tell the management. Lol. I doubt I will use it much myself but will try it out awhile on some lake bank. It converts back quickly to a plain ol' cane pole style of rod if need be. Fixed line fishing is my renewed passion.
Colin_1

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.