Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Bass flies

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Bass flies

Postby cephalotus » Sat Nov 29, 2014 7:22 pm

Have a new amago headed my way. Plan to make this my warm water and big water rod! Excited to start targeting some bass soon. I was hoping a few bass fisherman could help me out.

Most of the bass bugs, rats, and poppers seem to be only in very large sizes like #2. I've never really thrown anything quite that large with tenkara and wondered how the rod would fair with larger flies. Do you gents use these bass flies, or do you stick with smaller flies?
cephalotus

Re: Bass flies

Postby troutrageous1 » Mon Dec 01, 2014 6:29 pm

Believe it or not, I use size 6 down to 12 kebari for bass.

I usually weight them with a bead or some wire....cast and let them drop vertically, and them twitch them either back toward me, or horizontal to me along whatever structure I'm fishing.

If bass (or bluegill are rising to flies), I like foam grasshoppers or beetles...but they are still pretty small.

All that said, try whatever. You never know what might work.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Re: Bass flies

Postby cephalotus » Tue Dec 02, 2014 9:03 am

Thanks for your reply Mike. Good info to have.
I ordered a handful of bass flies from an online vender. I was curious to see just how some of those monster flies would cast. Got a fair range of sizes to do some expiermenting.

I'll tie up some kebari and try those as well!
cephalotus

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.