Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Casting distance?

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Casting distance?

Postby tejplunkett » Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:17 pm

So in tenkara, let's say you have a 10' rod, an equal amount of line and 4' of tippett. How far in feet can you cast your fly?
tejplunkett

Re: Casting distance?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 04, 2014 8:44 pm

Depends on whether you are allowing the main line to touch and stay in the water or not.

I would say under normal river situations, 10' rod with 14' total line, you can cast someplace around 18' to 20' from your feet with little to no main line in water and just fly and tippet doing the water work.

Remember you have arm length too in the equation.... but I would say near what I say above.

But if you don't mind having main line on the water and lay the rod down as the line propels forward, you could do over 20' I would say, maybe 23' or so.

I do that on still water sometimes when I don't care if the line gets on the water.

All general #s but I kinda did that once with a Iwana 11' rod and I think I was measuring about 18' casts with only fly hitting my target.

How has your summer been? Any good fishing action? Hope you have been able to enjoy the camper and fish some.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby adventureR » Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:41 pm

Depending on the desire of presentation one could count the total length on rod and line/tippet.
In a narrow stream w/ shy fish or next to structure on wide still water a bit shorter distanced cast with line off the water seems best. This arc with line off the water can be found on many posts on the forum and on Japanese blogs.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tsegelke » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:54 am

It's not scientific, but that's about right. Remember too; that makes about 40 ft of river you are drifting your fly through. In a small stream, thats an enormous of amount of covered water.
tsegelke

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.