Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara fishing in small alpine lakes

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Tenkara fishing in small alpine lakes

Postby dbrooxb » Tue Jul 01, 2014 10:07 am

What are the best techniques and presentation when fishing from the shore at small alpine lakes?
dbrooxb

Re: Tenkara fishing in small alpine lakes

Postby michaelcrandall » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:40 am

I've been trying this myself, trying lakes around Mt. St Helens, Hood, and Jefferson. Trout tend to patrol in lakes, so I've heard, so keeping a line out and pulsing it could work. I really don't know much about it, but maybe wade in a bit and then drop flies around the dropoff.

who knows
If you like your rivers dead, tie your flies with lead.
michaelcrandall

Postby dbrooxb » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 am

I was just recently up fishing some alpine lakes and noticed the brookies grabbing the flies of the top of the water rather than letting it sink
dbrooxb

Postby dbrooxb » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:00 am

I'd love all the advice I can get.
dbrooxb

Postby TenkaraElevated » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:51 pm

Toss on a dry fly or if you want to fish a kebari raise the rod and allow the kebari to skate along the surface. Skate it fast for explosive takes.
TenkaraElevated

Postby tsegelke » Sun Jul 06, 2014 2:24 pm

You will find the fish cruise the shelfs, and or the inlets. Keep an eye out and cast ahead of them.
tsegelke

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:40 pm

Anyone looking for a lot more information on how to Tenkara fly fish in small and not so small alpine lakes only needs to look back on this board and read any of the many Alpine Lake Fishing Topic pieces I have posted on this board in the past. They come from many different sources and also include much great photography, so you can actually see what the critters that being talked about look like in the water and how to fish them. While the authors providing this information are not necessarily Tenkara anglers, the information being provided is all Tenkara fly fishing useful with a little ingenuity and creativity donated on your part. Some thinking outside of the traditional Tenkara box will be required to achieve the best alpine lake fishing results possible, which would include the use of such things as PVC coated, Floating Tenkara Fly Lines, and more conventional leader dry fly tackle set ups than what Tenkara anglers traditionally use. But the information is all there for anyone who is interested in learning more about fly fishing alpine lakes with Tenkara style fly rods. Enjoy,....Karl Klavon.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.