Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Kayak Tenkara

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Kayak Tenkara

Postby Clwpaddler » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Does anyone fish from a kayak? I find it a lot harder to fish Tenkara from a kayak than western style since you are constantly drifting away from the area you want to fish. Where as with a western rig, you can increase your distance with another cast if need be. Anyone find this to be a problem?
Clwpaddler
I fish well but the catching needs work!
Clwpaddler

Re: Kayak Tenkara

Postby adventureR » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:36 pm

I think it's been said before by a great Tenkara fisher in Japan that the majority of strikes will occur immediately upon the fly hitting the water. This seems to increase when the cast is directly above or carried toward the fish as it secretly stalks, ready for an ambush.
At first the constant movement of the Kayak will mess with you. Coordination will come with practice. Snagging tree branches was/is quite frustrating. The quick probing of areas with the easy, accurate & light weight rod while fishing Kayak Tenkara or on foot is a huge source of effectiveness. Going back and forth between Tenkara and rod and reel leaves a strange feel. A lot of time is spent cranking instead of casting and having the fly in the strike zone. Also one hand free can maneuver some with the paddle. The water that can be covered and areas that are sometimes out of reach make a Kayak a great addition with the Tenkara rod and vise versa.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby FlyfishingSwede » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:41 pm

Hi, I fish Tenkara from my kayak in lakes in Minnesota. If there is a strong breeze I use an anchor to hold my position. A small 3 lb anchor does nicely, if you add a trolley it allows you to position the kayak up or downwind to you preference.

On calm days I let the boat drift naturally and have had great success with Tenkara. the kayak allows me to get into places in accessible by other craft, and the Tenkara method provides the accurate casting around lily pads and near other structure.

Fly Fishing Swede
Ultimate 12 Kayak
Amago and AYUII rods
FlyfishingSwede

Postby Rob Gonzalez » Thu Feb 20, 2014 4:56 am

Kayak fishing is huge in Texas - using tenkara makes it even more stealthy. If you're having drift speed issues, besides using an anchor try a drift sock. It can be used with a trolley system to optimize your drift angle. Personally, I like a rudder on my kayaks which not only helps control drift and retrieve angle with my feet, but also makes the paddle stroke much easier by controlling your direction in the wind.
Rob Gonzalez
Tenkara Texas Facebook Group
Hane | Sato | Rhodo | Iwana 12' | Iwana 9'-3"
Rob Gonzalez

Postby Restewart » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:44 pm

I'm a bit late with this, but I fish exclusively from my kayak, and since it is foot operated, I find it well suited for flyfishing. I use the Tenkara/kayak combination on lakes, rivers and in the gulf with fantastic results.
Restewart

Postby floatingadrift » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:30 pm

Would there be a tenkara rod more suited for kayak fishing than others? Being on a lake, you could get yourself into situations where you may be reaching the upper limit of fish size with the typical tenkara rod. Do some stand out more than others for kayaking?
floatingadrift

Postby tntom » Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:04 pm

I fish Tenkara from my kayak a lot and love it. Foe me it works much better than my western style rods. Not all that line in the boat around my legs and fishing stuff. I fish my Amago or my Yamame and with 7lb tippet a super flexible rod and the fact that a large fish can move the boat I can land some good size fish. To me Tenkara and a kayak are made for each other.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby Restewart » Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 pm

I use the Amago and have managed to land some very nice fish from my kayak. As stated earlier, the beauty of the Tenkara rod is its' length and the fact that your not fighting piles of line. I find the Amago and kayak a perfect combination, allowing me to out maneuver and successfully boat some very nice fish. In fact, I seldom use my Western style since I began using the Tenkara method. Proof attached.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (30.39 KiB) Viewed 8915 times
Restewart

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.