Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing In Ponds

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Re: Fishing In Ponds

Postby mikeywill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 10:27 am

nice. i'm out most evening for a couple hours and each time and i think they are getting use to me. night before last, a pair went by like i wasn't even there. i found a really cool book called "the outdoor world of the sacramento region" put out by the amarican river natural history association. it is a field guide to all the flora and fauna 'round these here parts. it was in this book i discovered we even had muskrats...and yes, that song goes through my head each time i see one.
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:17 pm

damonmichaels wrote:nice. i'm out most evening for a couple hours and each time and i think they are getting use to me. night before last, a pair went by like i wasn't even there. i found a really cool book called "the outdoor world of the sacramento region" put out by the amarican river natural history association. it is a field guide to all the flora and fauna 'round these here parts. it was in this book i discovered we even had muskrats...and yes, that song goes through my head each time i see one.

Means you must be somewhat close to my age. 8-)

The young ones probably would never of heard of that song let alone the Cap'n & Tennille.

8-)

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby mikeywill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 4:59 pm

TJ @ Tenkara USA wrote:

Means you must be somewhat close to my age. 8-)

The young ones probably would never of heard of that song let alone the Cap'n & Tennille.

8-)

TJ

useta watch their show weekly when i was a kid. i had a crush on toni tenelle big time. her and kate jackson (and haley mills...until i realized she wasn't really my age like it thought she was). ah, to be ten again. both the captain and sunny bono taught me that any goof can win the girl. just make her laugh.

-mike
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Postby Old Hat » Mon May 06, 2013 9:17 am

I'm 99% positive you are looking at a Muskrat TJ. We have them all over the ponds around us. Otter won't frequent ponds, however there is a very little chance they would move through but I don't think they would stay long at all. Beaver are much bigger than from the looks of the picture and their tails are fairly recognizable when they swim. If it was a beaver there would definitely be other signs around to identify it. dam building and what we call beaver biscuits (twigs gnawed and stripped) laying around everywhere. both beaver and otter are very people shy and if it is a frequented pond I highly doubt you find either there. this is not the case with muskrat. As a wildlife biologist I have a seen a lot of all three. Not that I haven't made my fair share of identification mistakes though. :D But I think you have a muskrat. Great dubbing by the way.
古い帽子
Furui bōshi
Old Hat

Postby caveyeti » Mon May 06, 2013 9:28 am

Muskrat for sure there TJ.
caveyeti

Postby scorpion1971 » Mon May 06, 2013 10:38 am

I also agree that it is a Muskrat. I have seen these in the retention ponds I fish. I have also seen a small mink at one. I was very shock when I seen the mink as it was the very first one I have seen. At first I thought it was a rat until I seen it move. I looked it up when I came home to see if there are any in Indiana.
Mike P.
scorpion1971

Postby Thomas_Goggans » Tue Jun 25, 2013 1:42 pm

Nice! I just spent a delightful hour or two recently catching little bass and panfish below the dam on a small stream in TN. It's so much fun, it doesn't matter a whit that they're so small.

The aquatic mammal looks to be either a Beaver or a Muskrat, judging by it's floating posture and the shape of it's head. It's hard to tell which, though, from the photo since scale is difficult to determine. A very young beaver and a large muskrat can be similar in size and appearance, especially since a young beaver's tail is proportionally narrower than when full grown. If you don't find any chewed saplings or branches along the water's edge, it's almost assuredly a muskrat. Though beavers are much more wary of people than muskrats, they can definitely become adapted to ponds and get accustomed to people around. There are many beavers in the two ponds on our family's property, and though they avoid getting near people, they very rarely slap the water and they seen every day.

I have to agree with the other's that the Bass are either Sopotted or Largemouth. I would have said Largemouth without hesitation, until someone else mentioned Spotted :)
Thomas_Goggans

Postby franc103 » Mon Jun 15, 2015 7:03 am

I just got back from a cabin in northern Michigan on a no-wake lake. Just using our frontage, I was able to catch a huge variety of warm water fish, including largemouth, about 4 different species of sunfish, and rock bass (which I have never encountered before).

My wife told me the guy in the $15K fishing boat (spinning rod) kept giving me the stink-eye. He had two strikes in 40 minutes as I pulled a near constant stream of big fish with my Tenkara rod. Once my six-year-old caught a rock bass on the second cast, the guy took off.

I had great luck with black crystal buggers and Sawyer's killer bugs, both in size 12. I had one huge olive crystal bugger that I lost when a 16-18" largemouth bass hammered it and took off under the dock. I just ordered six more :-)

We also have a municipal pond down the road from us that we fish often. I'm teaching my two kids (3 and 6) Tenkara, and bluegills are great training for hook setting and landing techniques. The bluegill at the pond will eat a paper clip, but we have a lot of fun fishing with black/silver flashback copper johns in size 14 and green sparkle PMD in size 16.
franc103

Previous

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.