Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Fishing In Ponds

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Fishing In Ponds

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 10:39 am

In the offseason and when I need a quick pick-me-up, I enjoy hitting my local ponds.

Here in the foothills of California we have many ponds and most have sunfish, bluegill, bass, and add to that fun wildlife such as geese, turtles, otter (could be a beaver I have seen but not 100% sure), duck, and other fun animals that come to the pond for a snack.

Since my local season for trout does not arrive until later April, the pond is where I go now to play tenkara.

Here are a few friends I met this last week or so.

All put a smile on my face!

TJ

Mr. Sunfish

Mr. Turtle

Mr. Smallmouth Bass

Mr. Otter (or is it a small beaver)
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Fishing In Ponds

Postby OutdoorsBen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:49 pm

Glad to hear you got out. That is a largemouth not a smallmouth though. What was the fly of choice this time out? The siberian kebari?
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:12 pm

OutdoorsBen wrote:Glad to hear you got out. That is a largemouth not a smallmouth though. What was the fly of choice this time out? The siberian kebari?

Is that a Large Mouth, wow. Looked like a small mouth to me. I compared to other pics on google and this looked more like a small. But, a bass otherwise. ;)

This may have been the Oki or Amano kebari this time around. I forgot which one I had on at the time.

Of course I list 6 flies in the last 2 weeks so been losing some nice ones to the trees lately. That dreaded hookset but hook comes out of fish mouth as I am making the set and out flies the kebari in odd direction towards the trees. Such is life.

Pond only for me right now since season does not open for a bit but still some fishing.

In fact, time to get my mail so maybe I will jostle over to the pond to see who wants to play today if anyone before a storm hits tonight.

tj

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:31 pm

And todays fish in a quickie 30 minute fishing. About 4 gill/sunfish and one small bass that I first thought was a trout it was so slender. Just a young-un. :twisted:

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby OutdoorsBen » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:10 pm

easiest way to tell a largemouth v smallmouth is the largemouth opens up to almost a complete circle. Smallmouth's open up similar to a trout which is not nearly as wide. Also smallies "stripes" go vertically and a largemouth go horizontal. Lastly, smallies tend to have a red eye or a red ring in the eye. Next time you catch a largie lip it and you'll see the mouth is MASSIVE. Even on small ones it's pretty impressive.
My Blogs
Hiking, Canoeing, and Fishing in New England http://www.outdoorsben.com
OutdoorsBen

Postby adventureR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:47 pm

Here's a link for Black Bass ID-> http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/FishFacts/blackbass_id.html
Looks like a Spotted Bass to me.

Hard to ID the critter in the picture. If you were able to get close to that animal and he was watching you it probably was an Otter. The Otter should be much more active and unpredictable with its movements. A Beaver probably wouldn't see you if you didn't move. They also seem to have more dilberate movements. Is there any chewed up Maple stumps where your at around your water TJ? They also would have done the tail slap if it did notice you. My wife and me have got really close to Beavers in the creeks, they don't see to good.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:55 pm

Something even more difficult is to ID the little Sunfish. The hybridization in the Sunfish family makes for a wide variety of difficult naming. Thus all of them are just Bluegills where I live.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:00 pm

adventureR wrote:Here's a link for Black Bass ID-> http://www.tn.gov/twra/fish/FishFacts/blackbass_id.html
Looks like a Spotted Bass to me.

Hard to ID the critter in the picture. If you were able to get close to that animal and he was watching you it probably was an Otter. The Otter should be much more active and unpredictable with its movements. A Beaver probably wouldn't see you if you didn't move. They also seem to have more dilberate movements. Is there any chewed up Maple stumps where your at around your water TJ? They also would have done the tail slap if it did notice you. My wife and me have got really close to Beavers in the creeks, they don't see to good.

Funny thing is today it swam right by me, maybe 20 feet away, did not even notice me. I made a move and it quickly went under water in emergency mode in a big splash.

I think it is an otter but could be a beaver too I suppose. I will say Otter for now.

As for the sunfish, some could be bluegill too. When I hold them up to light they shine a yellowish color. On grass backdrop, they appear darker. I am guessing a hybrid.

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby mikeywill » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:07 am

tj,

i had a similar experience with an aquatic mammal of some sort swimming around in the creek down the way. turns out it is a muskrat, and i'm thinking that if we have them here in elk grove, you prolly have them up near you as well. here is a pic i found on the internets.

-mike
Attachments
Muskrat_swimming_Ottawa.jpg
be excellent to one another.
mikeywill

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Thu Mar 14, 2013 9:53 am

damonmichaels wrote:tj,

i had a similar experience with an aquatic mammal of some sort swimming around in the creek down the way. turns out it is a muskrat, and i'm thinking that if we have them here in elk grove, you prolly have them up near you as well. here is a pic i found on the internets.

-mike

Hmm, very interesting. Will have to see if I can get a better picture of mine.

Last time I was there a couple days ago he was not there so maybe moved on or was taking a nap.

Of course now all today I am going to have the song Muskrat Love by Captain & Tennille in my head.

If I have to have that, so do you all. hehehe :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBYV_7a0FQs

TJ

TJ @ Tenkara USA

Next

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.