Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Smallmouth bass set-up

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Smallmouth bass set-up

Postby Tuortkoorb » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:24 am

Hi everyone. I'm looking into trying Tenkara after 15 years of western fly fishing. I am interested in a rod for targeting Smallmouth Bass in my local pond. Fishing will be primarily out of a boat, so I will have no problems with the longer rods. I'm leaning towards the Amago. Any thoughts or suggestions towards a rod/line combination would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Tuortkoorb

Re: Smallmouth bass set-up

Postby jd_smith » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:38 am

Amago with level line would be my setup. I think the heavier flies will warrant the 4.5 line with 5X tippet.

JD
<{(((((><{

"The reverse side also has a reverse side"
jd_smith

Postby adventureR » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:52 am

Welcome to the forum Tuortkoorb,
Smallmouth will often dive after getting hooked, this pushes the limits of a Tenkara rod! I use my trusty Yamame rod. Rigged with any line, level or furled, doesn't really matter. And always 5x or lighter tippet. If you put to heavy a tippet you can get a broken rod instead of just a lost fly. The level or furled line doesn't seem to matter as much since using a heavy fly to get to a depth where your targeting S-mouth are feeding or hiding makes for a less than delicate presentation type cast. It seems to me more of a suspend jig over cover type presentation. Often results in Crappie catches for me. Which are always welcome.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby tntom » Sun Feb 10, 2013 7:01 pm

I Tenkara fish smallies a lot from my kayak I use the Amago and a size 4.5 level line. I cheat on tippet and use 4x because I break of less fish on the strike.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:45 pm

Yep, I think either the Amago or the Yamame with a 4.5 level line will be a good choice. I you're fishing larger bugs that won't turn over with 5x tippet, you can try 6lb spinning line. It will have an equivalent break strength but more mass to turn over a small popper or streamer. I wish I could go back with a tenkara rod and fish some of the smallmouth streams in Missouri I used to haunt. Have fun!
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Stan Wright » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:54 pm

:D
I like my Amago 13'6" (6:4) or my Ayu 13' (5:5).... just depends on my mood at the time.

I have a 13 foot tapered furled line that a friend makes. He makes his own tapered leaders for his bone fishing. Next I have a 3 foot section of tapered leader... 8# test at the small end. Small Loop at each end.
Last is my leader, usually 3 or 4 feet of 4# test... Loop to loop on one end and tie the fly on the other.

I like to use a Crazy Charlie type fly. I use gold Flash-a-boo mostly. You can vary the weight by the size eyes you use... small bead chain to lead barbell eyes.

It isn't going to be too stealthy... more like a big splat when the fly lands.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby lbug7575 » Sat Apr 04, 2015 5:55 am

The level or furled line doesn't seem to matter as much since using a heavy fly to get to a depth where your targeting S-mouth are feeding or hiding makes for a less than delicate presentation type cast. It seems to me more of a suspend jig over cover type presentation.
*Signature*
lbug7575

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.