Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Float Tubing

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Tenkara Float Tubing

Postby achilles38 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:37 am

I recently was given a float tube by my cousin and wondered if anybody had any recommendations for technique on how to tenkara float tube? I've never used a float tube and currently own an Amago and a 10.5ft tenkara rod, and more flies than I'll ever be able to use, haha. Any advice/tips would be greatly appreciated on casting technique, landing fish, etc.

thanks,

Jeremy
Jeremy
achilles38

Re: Tenkara Float Tubing

Postby adventureR » Wed Aug 01, 2012 5:28 am

Video for Tenkara/Float Tubing-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhXQ9_daeE

Casting is a little easier while standing. The angles used to cast fly first seem to be better while standing, compared to sitting on the water. I do enjoy casting with my elbow resting on my knee though. A net is nice for getting pictures. Maybe you will get pulled by some fish. Tell us how it goes Jeremy.

Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby achilles38 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 12:33 am

adventureR wrote:Video for Tenkara/Float Tubing-
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zhXQ9_daeE

Casting is a little easier while standing. The angles used to cast fly first seem to be better while standing, compared to sitting on the water. I do enjoy casting with my elbow resting on my knee though. A net is nice for getting pictures. Maybe you will get pulled by some fish. Tell us how it goes Jeremy.

Jeremy

Thanks for the video and info. Great video and that guy makes it look so easy. Hopefully I'll be able to get the float tube out in Sept when it cools down a little where I live in Southern CA, mid 90s and up every day, mountain stream water temps in upper 60s, lakes a little warmer.
Jeremy
achilles38

Postby jayfisher » Sat Aug 04, 2012 1:03 am

Jeremy,

I float tube fly fish on lakes at times, but I've always done it with western fly fishing. With western fly fishing, it's possible to cast the line way out (50 to 70 ft) and strip in the line into a stripping basket using different retreive patterns. This is for trout and land locked atlantic salmon and I think bass and panfish will be different.

I don't know how to use my traditional method with tenkara. Tenkara float tubing seems to be new or unique enough so that there's not a ton of information. So I'm interested in hearing about your experience and what you learn. Please keep us posted.

- Jack
jayfisher

Postby John @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:49 pm

I did some warm water fishing with my Ito last October when I was visiting some freinds in Illinois. It was only one day, so don't put too much to this. Sakasa flies fished on a level line worked really well, just casting near structure and pulsing the fly. This was from shore but a tube would have been more fun.
John Geer at Tenkara USA
John @ Tenkara USA

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:57 am

I tried some warm water Tenkara float tubing the other day. When I got to the power pond the surface was calm and there were periodic rises, but by the time I got the Fat Cat inflated and my waders and fins on the wind was blowing pretty good.

I fished a Peacock Sheeps Creep fly pattern (more or less a reversed hackle Sakasa Kebari pattern) for 10 bluegill and 5 small, large mouth bass. Then I put on a Water Boatman pattern and caught 8 small bass and 2 more bluegill before I was done for the day. The technique was to cast the fly out, let it sink for a while, then give a short, pulsing retrieve with hand and rod movement with the Sheeps Creek Pattern. The water Boatman pattern is a floating fly, so no waiting for it to sink was necessary and it was pulsed a cross the water to make the Water Boatman's sculling oars kick like it was swimming on the surface. The water was still pretty cold for bass and bluegill to be active and feeding, so the fishing was really slow. I probably fished for about 4 hours, total, before I quit.

Most of the casting was done toward infrequent surface disturbances and to structure that might hold fish. While moving to new casting positions I let my line and fly trail in the water (think very slow trolling here), and I caught a few fish on the fly being pulled in front of me as I was kicking my way backwards to the new fishing locations. Flies only catch fish when they are in the water, so I try to keep my flies in the water as much as I can fishing or just moving.

I found the casting to be more difficult while being seated in a float tube than it would have been if I was standing on the bank or wading, but doable for sure. I usually use Western tackle when float tubing for trout because sinking lines are often required to have any success in a lot of places that I float tube fish. But I enjoyed the outing so much with my T-tackle that I am encouraged to give the Tenkara float tube fishing a try on some of our cold water trout lakes when trout season gets going. Because trout will often rise within a rod length of a float tube fisherman, I believe Tenkara's limited casting range will not present much of a problem for a float tube Tenkara angler to be able to catch fish feeding near the surface.
Karl Klavon

Postby Stan Wright » Wed May 01, 2013 12:29 pm

:D
I was going to try float tubing for bluegill at Lake Fork, in Texas...
I grew up on Birch Creek there in Yantis.
Till I saw this picture...
:o
Also don't think I'll be doing any skinny dipping off the boat dock on a warm, moonlit, summer nights.
Attachments
Texas Gator.jpg
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby flytyingsteve » Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:03 pm

YIKES! :o
flytyingsteve

Postby Goldkenshin » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:16 am

wildernesslite float tube + mini teton(or nissin pocket mini) + redington sonic packable waders + Converse Hi tops+ TUSA Line keeper + aquasphere flippers(9.1oz)+optional net(shimano folding net)

EQUALS.... the lightest and most packable possible tenkara float tube setup that exists on this planet.

this will allow you to fish where no man has ever fished(if there still exists a spot)
Goldkenshin

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.