Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara Catfish

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Tenkara Catfish

Postby doliver » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 am

The Midwestern US is in the worst drought in a quarter century – this will clearly be the hottest year on record (wait till you see what this does to food prices). Our local smallmouth streams, which should be at their best, are instead getting dangerously low with fish bunching up in small pools where ripples, shade, and the occasional spring keep the water cool and oxygenated. This makes for some interesting evenings fishing for 6’ to 8” smallmouths with an 11’ Iwana. Little smallmouth, at least in these streams, are not very fussy and will take just about any subsurface fly.

Yesterday evening a small deep pool which fortunately was free of wood snags yielded an unusual catch. The streams in central Iowa even when this low are clouded from agricultural runoff which gives the fish protection but blocks visibility. I was using a hare’s ear nymph with a small bead to prove the center of the pool. What I assumed was a snag ended up many many minutes later to be not a nice smallmouth but rather a channel cat. Obviously the “fight” involved me running back and forth on the gravel bar at the edge of the pool and hanging on until the fish tired. The only reason I could finally wind it enough to ease it to shore was the lack of snags for the fish to break me off the 4X tippet. While I seriously do not recommend it, you can if you are very lucky very dumb land an 18” catfish on Tenkara rod.
David
doliver

Re: Tenkara Catfish

Postby Loften » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:18 am

Cool. Catfish will go for some nymphs and crayfish. I catch them a lot on my western rod when fishing for carp.
Loften

Postby Stan Wright » Sat Jul 28, 2012 6:20 pm

:o
I know it's cheating, but when the fishing is slow and the kids really want to catch something... there is a private dock at this guys house with a wildlife feeder filled with cat food... or catfish chow or some kind of little brown pellets. A "brown" salmon egg fly will fool them every time. :twisted:
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Postby tntom » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:54 pm

Stan Wright wrote::o
I know it's cheating, but when the fishing is slow and the kids really want to catch something... there is a private dock at this guys house with a wildlife feeder filled with cat food... or catfish chow or some kind of little brown pellets. A "brown" salmon egg fly will fool them every time. :twisted:

You can't cheat on a wild turkey or a catfish :mrgreen:

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby telepavski » Mon Jul 14, 2014 8:01 pm

Here is yesterday's catch at Black River in NJ

I am glad to see others are catching catfish on Tenkara, this one was 14 inch and it took my steelhead fly.

P.B.
telepavski

Postby TenkaraElevated » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:12 pm

Catfish are a lot of fun on tenkara although I'm not a big fan of the slime on the line lol. Awesome job and is that a mud cat?
TenkaraElevated

Postby telepavski » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:48 am

Yes that was Mr. Mud and he was fighting like a bas :)

P.B.
telepavski

Postby adventureR » Thu Jul 17, 2014 6:07 pm

Channel Cats in my neck of the woods will eagerly take a fly. I've caught several. They are well equipped for feeling vibrations from a pulsing fly and seeing it. They can also test the strength of your knots and tippet!
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.