Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

nymphing

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

nymphing

Postby Wolfie2nd » Wed May 16, 2012 6:47 am

Having problems nymphing with Tenkara dries are no problem.. For those of you who nymph with your Tenkara rod what is your setup? Im also having problems with wets cause with my fly rod I add action to em.. Can someone maybe give me some tips/opinions? Im a self taught fly fisherman and havent been at it too long... Any help would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Doug
Wolfie2nd

Re: nymphing

Postby Tenkara Guides » Wed May 16, 2012 6:56 am

Hope that this can help.
Jump onto our website: http://tenkaraguides.com/ten-colors-lab/

That should help you get started. There is also a ton of info about other western/tenkara hybrid fly fishing methods and other cool stuff.

Continued prosperity in your tenkara adventures,

John
Tenkara Guides LLC
Tenkara Guides

Postby pechelman » Wed May 16, 2012 8:14 am

couple of things work very well for me

forgo a strike indicator
cast more upstream and quarter, trying your best to keep the fly as the furthest thing away from you, and keep your line as taught as possible. Focus in on the area in which you think your fly is located and the end of your tenkara line. Use the tip of it as an indicator. If you see anything flash or anything odd happen with the end of your line, set the hook by moving the rod tip downstream as best as you can. Obviously this is harder if your fly has drifted dowstream of you, but then set the hook perpendicular to the current so you dont pull the fly out of the fish's mouth.

Fish the entire drift of your cast, and when its about downstream and quarter to you, SLOWLY raise the rod as if to make your fly emerge. Have had many takes here.

If you want to fish the traditional japaense kebari by "jigging" it, experiemtn with jigging in different directions with respect to the current. I've had luck in doing it parallel to the current when the fly is downstream and doing it perpendicular to the current when the fly is across from me to minimize the amount im picking up the fly in the water column.

The other method I like, which tenkara guides has a great writeup on, is a tightline style of nymphing, such as check nymping. Short leader ~3ft, LONG ~9' 3-4x tippet, 2-3 flies on 4-5x droppers, at least one of which is heavily weighted. Chuck it upstream and keep a tight line on it at all times by "dragging it" downstream. Faster is better than slower. Detect strikes mostly by feel through keeping a tight line, but also watch for flashes and odd movements of your brightly colored leader tip.

Since i've started doing this, my sucess rate in detecting strikes has easily tripled.
pechelman

Postby Wolfie2nd » Wed May 16, 2012 9:33 am

Thanks for the responses I will give em a try
Wolfie2nd

Postby tntom » Wed May 16, 2012 10:52 am

pechelman wrote:
The other method I like, which tenkara guides has a great writeup on, is a tightline style of nymphing, such as check nymping. Short leader ~3ft, LONG ~9' 3-4x tippet, 2-3 flies on 4-5x droppers, at least one of which is heavily weighted. Chuck it upstream and keep a tight line on it at all times by "dragging it" downstream. Faster is better than slower. Detect strikes mostly by feel through keeping a tight line, but also watch for flashes and odd movements of your brightly colored leader tip.

Since i've started doing this, my sucess rate in detecting strikes has easily tripled.

This is what I've doing and it is working very well. I use 8' of Tenkara USA hi-vis 3.5 and 3' of 4X tippet. The short line and the 12' long rod is a good rig for this style of nymphing. I can even make this work with 1 small nymph in fast water.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.