Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Tenkara for tarpon

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Tenkara for tarpon

Postby CuriousLayman » Fri May 11, 2012 4:56 am

My apologies if this has already been posted. A friend of mind emailed it to me and I thought some may be interested.

http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/flytalk/2012/05/tarpon-might-be-ideal-tenkara-fish
Mike Barber
CuriousLayman

Re: Tenkara for tarpon

Postby adventureR » Fri May 11, 2012 7:10 am

blatt1970 hunts the mangroves in Brazil for baby Tarpon fishing with a Tenkara rod. Posted a while back. But it's a good post, and a good read. Thanks for sharing it.

I find the more people who scuff at Tenkara are beginning to be offset by the media coverage and people willing to give it a try. That being said this is what happened to me yesterday.

While fishing a creek I met a Bass boat going the other way. The two guys in the boat were dressed like NASCAR drivers in a sixty thousand dollar boat. I said hi, they said it back. I asked if they left any fish for me. They laughed and said I probably couldn't catch any with that thing if they did, pointing at my Tenkara rod. I asked how many fish they caught between the two of them. They said three, and they just got there. (Thought about it later, probably just covered several miles of fish filled water too to be that far along up into the creek.) I said I've only been on the water fifteen minutes and caught seven. Later after about two hours on the water I returned to the ramp and home. Looked at my camera and found I caught five different species of fish numbering at twenty two fish. Had a wonderful time, and tested out some new flies I tied up just for this trip. And hope that those two guys read this article in Field and Stream.

Sometimes I like to imagine the scene from They Live where the one guy trys to make the other guy try on the Sunglasses. Best fight scene of all time. It seems to me that some people just don't get it. And have some strange compulsion that tells them I have to fish the way they do or I'm the odd man out. It's just strange to experience sometimes. A good article Mike sorry to go off on that tangent.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby adventureR » Fri May 11, 2012 7:37 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/They_Live

Had to add this link to the Movie, a great movie if you like Sci Fy. Then if youv'e never seen it you can compare if it's the best fight scene of all time.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby blatt1970 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:44 pm

:D
Hi Adventurer, thanks for mentioning my post!
I suffered an accident and my shoulder is still hurt so i'm not on the yak rowing bussnes since then... Gess it will take another 2 months to recover...
About the baby tarpons mines are much smaller, i don't have the guts to throw a kebari
to bigger ones... But now reading that layman post maybe i'll change my mind!
All the best for you!

blatt1970

Postby adventureR » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:36 pm

Sorry to hear about your shoulder. Good to hear from you though. Maybe you'll be able to post some giant Tenkara Tarpon pics after you heal.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.