Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Czech nymphing

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Czech nymphing

Postby redterra527 » Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 pm

I have the Yamame rod and a pack of Tenkara level line #3.5. Can I use the line to rig for Czech nymphing? If yes, can you tell me the measurements of the line, the tippet size for the drop-offs, etc.

Thanks,
Steve
redterra527

Re: Czech nymphing

Postby Darrin Terry » Thu May 03, 2012 5:59 pm

I've not tried Czech nymphing with a tenkara rod but there are those who have and do. I've also not cast a Yamame, though I've handled one and may buy it as the owner os willing to sell it to me. I think it would be a decent choice for this style of fishing. Czech nymphing is usually done with rods of 9-11 foot length and as a short line nymphing system where your leader, usually about the length of the rod being used and up to about a foot of fly line only out beyond the tip of your rod. As such, I would think the Yamame at about 11' 8" and a being a bit more of a fast rod would work well. I'd think a level line of about 9-10 feet (I'd go with a lighter line I think as the flies will be weighted for this method of fishing and wind should be less of an issue because of that) with 18 inches or so between flies. Since Daniel suggests no tippet heavier than 5x be used, you may need to taper the line down just a bit with maybe one extra step between the line and your first dropper.

When I tie a CZ rig on my western rods, I use 4x for all droppers. I use a triple surgeons knot leaving a 6-8 inch tag on the top of the knot and tie my top fly to the tag. I make the section below the knot about 24 inches so that I have plenty of line to tie my next triple surgeons knot for the next dropper about 18 inches below the first. Again leaving the top tag long for a fly, this fly being my anchor fly. My final fly goes another 18 inches or so below at the point position.

On the tenkara rod I'd likely do it the same except for switching to 5x for the droppers. At least, that would be my starting point.

It makes things more complicated, but Czech nymphing is similar in method to tenkara simply because of the fixed line during the fishing aspect. I've seen a lot of people get two fish on at once while Czech nymphing though and if I remember correctly, the guy that taught me the most about it, a guy from the Czech Republic named Zee, posted a pic of his line once with three trout caught. I might be a good idea to limit yourself to just two flies in the interest of protecting the rod.
2012 Days Fishing - 18/366
Iwana : Series I : 11 ft Iwana : Series II : 12 ft
Darrin Terry

Postby tntom » Thu May 03, 2012 8:31 pm

If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby redterra527 » Fri May 04, 2012 4:48 am

Awesome!

Would that be 20lb or 30lb spectra fly line backing?

Thanks for the information.
redterra527

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat May 05, 2012 6:25 am

It doesn't really matter what # backing you use, however lighter weight is probably better. Just make sure it's stronger than your tippet ;)

ERiK
TG
erik.ostrander

Postby redterra527 » Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 am

The past couple of weekends I've used my Yamame rod rigged for Czech nymphing as Erik described to me here in this forum and also as seen in his YouTube video. The results have been amazing. I've caught more trout nymphing this way than with dry flies so far this season. Yesterday, fishing some of New York's Catskill smaller, less well-known streams, I caught 11 trout ranging in sizes from 9-13" in a couple of hours, but have also landed 15-17" browns no trouble. I even got a double; two trout on both flies! Thanks so much.
redterra527

Postby erik.ostrander » Tue May 29, 2012 12:12 pm

redterra527 wrote:The past couple of weekends I've used my Yamame rod rigged for Czech nymphing as Erik described to me here in this forum and also as seen in his YouTube video. The results have been amazing. I've caught more trout nymphing this way than with dry flies so far this season. Yesterday, fishing some of New York's Catskill smaller, less well-known streams, I caught 11 trout ranging in sizes from 9-13" in a couple of hours, but have also landed 15-17" browns no trouble. I even got a double; two trout on both flies! Thanks so much.

Glad to hear it. This makes me happy.
erik.ostrander

Postby FishinJosh » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:31 am

I am also using the Yamame rod for nymphing with success. The davidson river in western north carolina. one of my home rivers and holds lots of spooky fish that require drag free drifts. In the winter months these fish feed mainly on tiny midges or the blue wing olives. Both insects are small to very small, size 16 for a adult BWO and 22 for midge pupa. I like to use the french nymphing technique or a micro nymphing version of check nymphing. The thing that I have found useful is using 7x tippet. The thin tippet cuts through the water better allowing you to use less weight. I add splitshot a few inches up from my anchor fly to sink the rig.

also thanks to the tenkara guides for putting out some good information. It really helped me get my winter fishing going.
FishinJosh

Postby erik.ostrander » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:00 am

Good point Josh. French nymphing is excellent for winter fishing because you can get away with lighter tippets, and since you're fishing to spookier fish with lighter flies it makes sense all around.
erik.ostrander

Postby CraigP » Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:41 am

I've euro nymphed a lot with Tenkara. Go for the lighter styleS of euro, such as french rigs, but start with short lines.

Use a light line, you are not casting, you are lobbing nymphs.fly control and line management so you see the take are critical. I often use a #1.5 for this.

Use 6x for tippet or lighter the time. When competing, anglers use even finer. You will catch more fish. When I western rod euro, I'd never use more than 6x. The Tenkara rods provide a lot more tippet protection thsn a westrrn euro rod such as the sage or greys. You need a stiffer model of tenkara, which strictly migHt be rated as a keiryu rod, such as your yamame or an 8:2, to get the best hook set. You can use softer, and I have, but you miss fish that you'd get with a stiffer model of 7:3 or an 8:2.

Do NOT let yourself get sucked into the gear fanaticism that euro nymphying has entered. Been there, found my way back. One line, one spool of tippeet, no swivels, learn two basic knots, thats it. Curly wurly's etc not needed.

Pm me if you'd like some tips.
CraigP

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.