Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Warm water rod suggestion

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Warm water rod suggestion

Postby GNQ » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:28 pm

I want to get a rod for warm water fish but can't make up my mind on getting a Yamame or an Amago.
I already have the Iwana for trout in the local creeks and love it. My daughter lives in Florida and always fish there when we visit as there are ponds everywhere. Landed some nice bass on a 4 wt I had just made using #10 wooly buggers during the last visit. Which way should I go, Yamame back bone, or Amago for the length? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
GNQ

Re: Warm water rod suggestion

Postby tntom » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:41 pm

I have both Yamame and Amago I don't think there is much difference in the fish each rod will handle I think the difference is in the flies they will cast. The Yamame seems to handle larger flies better. They will both cast long lines.

Tom
If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Postby zeeshan002 » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:56 am

My daughter lives in Florida and always fish there when we visit as there are ponds everywhere. Landed some nice bass on a 4 wt I had just made using #10 wooly buggers during the last visit. Which way should I go, Yamame back bone, or Amago for the length? Any input would be greatly appreciated.
GNQ
aliiii
zeeshan002

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:47 am

Both the Amago and Yamame are what we will call our big fish rods. The Yamame being stiffer and the Amago being longer with a fairly beefy handle and stock area so both models offer good backbone to land larger trout or bass, etc... If you need to cast further, the extra length of the Amago would be of benefit as the Yamame is 12' versus the Amago at 13'6". What I can say is the largest fish landed to date (at least one folks post pictures about) have been landed with the Amago. Therefore if big fish is your intention, meaning trout in the lower 20" range all the time, then Amago mighty be best. But... both should do fine.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Stan Wright » Sun Oct 04, 2015 4:14 pm

I like the feel of the soft 5:5 AYU rods. I find myself choosing it more and more these days.
Why let the truth stand in the way of a good fish story.
Stan Wright

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.