Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Ralph Cutter's Ant Article

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Ralph Cutter's Ant Article

Postby Karl Klavon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:06 am

Of the 452 fish I caught on dry flies in 2010 (the only time that I have ever gone to the time and trouble it took to keep track of that information), 285 of those 452 fish were caught on size 16 and size 12 ant fly patterns. In the six surveys of terrestrial fall collections that Gary LaFontaine did on high mountain lakes, ants were always the most frequent land based insect collected, with beetles always coming in at second place. So here is the link to Ralph Cutter's take on this important aspect of both lake and stream fly fishing: www.flyline.com/entomology/ants/
Karl Klavon

Re: Ralph Cutter's Ant Article

Postby Anthony » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:35 am

I've always had great success with ants. I fish wet ants mostly - but they are very productive and I'd list them as a top 5 fly for me for sure.
Ebisu (now retired), Iwana 11'ft (with additional short handle - also retired), Amago, Ito, Ayu II, Rhodo, Sato
Anthony

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.