Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Smallmouth Kebaris

A place to discuss techniques and rigging options for use in "non-mountain stream" areas such as lakes and warm-water areas, as well as non-traditional tenkara techniques such as nymphing.

Smallmouth Kebaris

Postby tntom » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:28 pm

If you aint high sticking, you aint fishing hard enough.
tntom

Re: Smallmouth Kebaris

Postby adventureR » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:20 am

Some of my Frankenstein S/M flies.

¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby orangelj » Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:12 pm

Wow!
orangelj

Postby GNQ » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:16 pm

Very,very nice.
GNQ

Postby Lance_1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 8:03 am

adventureR wrote:Some of my Frankenstein S/M flies.

The Frankenstein flies you tied look great for S/M Bass. My question where can I find the patterns.
Does the flies with the dumbbell eyes tyed on the top or bottom of the hook shank?
Thanks for the information,
Lance Gurney
Portland, Maine
Lance_1

Postby adventureR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 9:45 am

Thanks Lance, and welcome to the forum. I just come up with them on a whim, like most of my flies. The weight is usually on the bottom to make the hook point up to avoid snagging. I kind of use a float and fly technique, without the float. Link for the technique- http://www.floatandfly.com/ .
With the Tenkara rod I guess it's more of a duck and dive, due to the weighted flies. My Yamame rod casts em good enough though. The flies are just made from yarn, ringneck pheasant skin feathers, and a bit of midge flash. I choose colors that Smallmouth Bass would be feeding on. My favorite is the Crayfish, most productive of the bunch. Hooks are not typically for fly tying. Rules don't seem to apply to my flies, the fish dictate the rule.
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Lance_1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:34 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me and shairing your process. You have given me a new way of looking at tying my flies. Did you use caddis hooks on some of your flies?
Thanks again,
Lance
Lance_1

Postby adventureR » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Show some flies you've made, they don't have to be used to catch fisherman. I've made alot of weird flies. Not sure if it's from technique or something to do with the one fly theory. But the fish like them. I also have been messing around with bending eagle claw and other cheaper hooks and making them into the shape of more expensive hooks and sharpening a bit too. The fish can't tell the difference. Glad you liked the Frankensteiners.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Postby Lance_1 » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:16 am

Show some flies you've made, they don't have to be used to catch fisherman. I've made alot of weird flies. Not sure if it's from technique or something to do with the one fly theory. But the fish like them. I also have been messing around with bending eagle claw and other cheaper hooks and making them into the shape of more expensive hooks and sharpening a bit too. The fish can't tell the difference. Glad you liked the Frankensteiners.
Jeremy[/quote]

Thanks Jeremy on the information and pictures on hooks are a great help. I noticed you are using a Hobie kayak in your picture, I also fly fish from a Hobie Revolution. I have not ordered a Tenkara rod yet, but will soon. What size rod is best for kayak fishing? Do you have any hints for Tenkara/kayak fishing?
Lance
Lance_1

Postby adventureR » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:48 am

My wife has the Revolution it's probably the all around best balanced Hobie, I have the Adventure, thus my simple anonymous name. The Hobies are the best. They are a great match with Tenkara fishing in many ways. Choice of rod would be more a preference of rod flex. Im not sure the rod length makes as much difference in the kayak. Rod length is better for taking advantage of the best advantage Tenkara offers IMO, presenting the fly and not the line to the fish. This is the best part of the two(Kayak/Tenkara) the stealth. The Yamame rod, which I prefer, is stiff compared to my wifes Iwana. Her rod is more flexable and actually feels easier to cast. But her rod doesn't cast my big flies as well. And from the Kayak you can get very close to fish so distances of level line or furled leader are not as important, you can just drift in to make up for range. Sitting low to the water and quiet allows you to get closer to fish. I really like this aspect of Kayak Tenkara, moving along a river, creek, or lake following structure be it the shore or underwater you can set the range of your cast with the rudder and automatically place casts in the target zone without thinking. I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Tenkara rods, I really enjoy fishing with them.
Jeremy
¿ <•,^~~<
adventureR

Next

Return to Tenkara as a tool - Lakes, nymphing, etc.