Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Line holder

Re: Line holder

Postby rsetina » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:50 pm

After using the hooks from Bass Pro that attach with the o-rings I've gone back to the spool. I've tangled the line a couple of times and it seems there's never anywhere to attach the fly so it's secure and not dangling. I've had the hooks reverse on me too which was a pain. It was a great concept but the original is the best.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby Softouch333 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:51 am

I have tried using all three line holder systems since starting this thread and each has advantages.

The Orvis dropper box is the most handy when teaching. I have pre-rigged lines tippet and flies ready to go when I run into a tangle. It is very simple to change out the works and de-tangle later. I also like to keep this in my truck when driving-to fishing. I can use one of the dropper rigs to carry an extra line. When extending rod sections I just let the dropper rig dangle and unwind itself as I extend, which works fine if you have overhead room.

The Fuji hook keepers have been my go to rig since last fall. I can leave a line totally rigged and ready. Rick, I use a hair elastic on the grip to manage hooks and works OK. Between pools I just wedge the tippet against the o-ring and dangle. One thing I've found is that unwinding the tippet section and letting it hang, then putting your left hand through the wound line loops and collapsing the hook keepers, allows me to feed out line from loops off my hand as I telescope the rod out. The tippet section for me is one that seems to tangle, so unwinding it by hand first and let it hang seems to work. Someone recommended a figure eight wind too, but I haven't seen the need. I like this system best for single line fishing, especially using a furled line.

Either of the above systems works with the rod tube I use. It is lightweight plastic mailing tube with an I.D. of 1 3/8" and everything slides inside nicely protected.

I have the Tenkara USA blue spool too. It has one big advantage in my view over either of the above with a level line. Because it is round, the degree of line memory with a level line is much less and not kinky like the others, but rather a coil. The kinks around the hook keeper especially are difficult to straighten. With furled lines this is not as much a concern.

Rick and any others with the spool, how exactly do you leave the line girth-hitched to the lillian and store the spool on the rod? When I try this I end up with line falling off the spool. Also, how do you feed line off the spool when extending the rod sections? Maybe I need just a few hints to give the spool a second chance.
Softouch333

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:45 pm

The blue spools work the best for me.
I find it best not to get fancy telescoping the rod and letting out line at the same time. I hitch the line to the lilian and take it off the spool...when I get to the tippet I stick that in my mouth while telescoping the rod. Breaking down is not quite the reverse. .....tippet in mouth, collapse the rod, remove the line and thread onto the spool.
Using the spool on the rod is simple . Collapse the rod leaving the line attached. Wrap the line on the spool, tippet first, leaving about fourteen inches free. Jam the line between the foam and spool and slide the spool onto the rod .......WITH THE SPOOL SLOTS FACING THE HANDLE.The correct amount of slack allows you to grip the line and rod at the halfway point and go for a walk. Slots down keeps some pressure on the wedged line. Some folks like to stick a piece of soft foam rubber in the open rod tip as a security measure. Carry the rod tip up and you won't need the foam.
The Fuji hook keepers look great but are too fussy for me.
Stephen McGowen

How to use the line holder

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:27 pm

Thanks for explaining Stephen. The instructions are very clear, just to reiterate in your words:
Collapse the rod leaving the line attached. Wrap the line on the spool, tippet first, leaving about fourteen inches free. Jam the line between the foam and spool and slide the spool onto the rod .......WITH THE SPOOL SLOTS FACING THE HANDLE
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: How to use the line holder

Postby erik.ostrander » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:43 pm

Daniel @ TenkaraUSA wrote:Thanks for explaining Stephen. The instructions are very clear, just to reiterate in your words:
Collapse the rod leaving the line attached. Wrap the line on the spool, tippet first, leaving about fourteen inches free. Jam the line between the foam and spool and slide the spool onto the rod .......WITH THE SPOOL SLOTS FACING THE HANDLE

I have found that doing this on the Ebisu can damage the pine handle by leaving an impression in the wood - the line pressed into the handle by the line holder.
erik.ostrander

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:47 pm

Oh, thanks for the feedback Erik. I guess one should not push the spool onto the Ebisu handle.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:34 pm

I wouldn't think that a gentle push would do that much harm to the wood. Sherry does this and she hasn't said anything. You might try some one sided sticky foam and put some on the inside of the spool. That might help in securing it to the handle without damaging the wood.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby Stephen McGowen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:15 pm

I have an Ebisu and have had no trouble with the spool marring the handle. One should not PUSH the spool onto the handle...gravity keeps it in place and your hand on the rod will keep it from falling of the other end. I find that it is easier to spool the line and put it in my pocket when moving from place to place. The operation take seconds, both rigging and de-rigging and the line is protected by your pocket. I usually stick the rod into my shirt or waders when moving any great distance on stream so I can have both hands free for bushwhacking, or wrestling bears, or whatever possibilities present themselves.
If you are having trouble with this stuff you need to PRACTICE. Do it before you go to the river. Time on the river should not be spent trying to figure out how the tackle works.
Stephen McGowen

Postby Adam Trahan » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:42 pm

http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/forum/vie ... p?f=28&t=9

A couple of us here use these.

The cost translated from Yen to US dollars is 3$, they are inexpensive, I own about a dozen and store my different lines on them. The foam does not mar anything and the little fly keeper is nice.

I found them by researching online in Japanese fly shops that carry tenkara gear.

There is a whole lot of equipment out there just waiting to be discovered...
Adam Trahan

Postby rsetina » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Adam Trahan wrote:http://www.tenkara-fisher.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=9

A couple of us here use these.

The cost translated from Yen to US dollars is 3$, they are inexpensive, I own about a dozen and store my different lines on them. The foam does not mar anything and the little fly keeper is nice.

I found them by researching online in Japanese fly shops that carry tenkara gear.

There is a whole lot of equipment out there just waiting to be discovered...

I curious about shipping charges from Japan. I work for UPS and I know our prices would make it pretty expensive to ship them here. Especially if you only buy a couple for your own use. Does the company in Japan have a distributor here in the US? That would make the cost of shipping them less expensive. I've never ordered anything internationally before, but like I said, I know how much it costs for UPS's customers to ship internationally. They look like they'd work well with all the rods Daniel sells. Thanks for the link!
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Line Holders