Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Line holder

Re: Line holder

Postby rsetina » Mon May 31, 2010 9:37 pm

jpo118 wrote:Does anybody know what happened to the line holders? I can no longer find them on the site.

Usually that means they are just out of stock at the moment. Hope that's it. I used one for some extra 15 lb. floro on the beach fishing for leopard shark and it was a nice way to store and carry the extra line.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby wrknapp » Tue Jun 01, 2010 7:11 pm

"When thou passest through the waters, I will be with thee; and through the rivers, they shall not overflow thee" Is 43:2a "I will cause them to walk by the rivers of waters in a straight way, wherein they shall not stumble" Jer 31:9b
wrknapp

Postby rsetina » Tue Jun 01, 2010 9:02 pm

Thanks for the clip Randy. That's a great video and something I'm going to look into. We have a Bass Pro shop an hour or so away.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby TonyB » Wed Jun 02, 2010 2:00 pm

This what I have done to hold my line while backpacking and when I need to collapse my rod to walk between fishing holes, this idea was first thought up by my mate Dave.

We glued two small but specially shaped pieces of cork to the shaft, the cork is small enough so the rod still fits inside the rod bag and tube, the line we use is traditional western line, the fly is hooked into the cork handle, we have used this method for three trips now and it seems to work very well though the western line does retain some kinks for a while after unfolding.

Tony

Man responds to the world as he perceives it, not as it is. Borg
TonyB

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jun 08, 2010 2:31 am

Just out of stock, we're expecting them to be back any moment.
Was also suprised by how prominent those line holders were in Japan, even though anglers have many choices, those are pretty much IT, I'd say they are at the hands of 70-80% of all anglers. Ingenious design.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby rsetina » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:31 am

Got mine in the mail yesterday. They work great! I'm glad I got them before heading to the creek on Saturday. It's going to make line management a little easier.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
rsetina

Postby jbenenson » Wed Jun 09, 2010 12:29 pm

I use the line holders to store my lines when not fishing. Once I'm rigged up and want to move to another location I collapse the rod then wind the line and tippet up and down the butt section until I'm almost to the fly then carry everything in one hand while fighting willows with the other. :x
--
I would like to have the modest contact with the nature in hope of continuing the beautiful streams forever

Yoshikazu Fujioka
jbenenson

Postby Morgan » Sat Jun 19, 2010 6:16 pm

I have very often wished my Ebisu had some kind of hook keeper. I do find the blue spools a little cumbersome and time consuming. The Jason Klass video Randy posted looks like a good idea -- I sent away for two from Cabela's, $3 apiece plus $5 shipping. I'll post on how it works out.

Tenkara on the Esopus tomorrow, first time all season. Really looking forward to it.
Morgan

Postby craigprice » Fri Jun 25, 2010 3:06 am

the Fuji EZ keepers are it for me. Simple, elegant, minimalist, effective - i.e tenkara. Let you focus on stalking instead of line management or tangles, especially if you like to use long level lines (like I do). Quick to tidy up for a move and then to get ready again.

BTW, in Aus, they retail for $12.95 a pair. I know the Aussie dollar is now only 82c US, but that's still a fair mark up. Ouch. Not gonna want to loose them.

craig
craigprice

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:48 am

There are a couple of reasons I prefer a spool to that type of system, and this is my personal preference, maybe a little bias, but the reasons I started offering the spools instead of something else.
The main reason is that I like to carry 2 or 3 different lines with me, a traditional line, a 15ft level line and a 20ft level line, so I may switch when I see a need for it. Also, I am a little concerned when having the line on the outside of the rod like that as it can get caught on things pretty easily when hiking/putting on a pack. I find the spool system a bit cleaner. I was also surprised by how commonly used they are in Japan.
Just my two cents on why I really like a spool system instead of a line system like those. It's a personal preference and I'm not really trying to sell more spools, I just offer them because it's a good product.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Line Holders