The Tenkara USA Forum is no longer active, and is now a read-only resource. If you’re interested in current topics and discussions, please join us on the Facebook Tenkara Anglers group (link: https://www.facebook.com/groups/tenkara.anglers/)

Line holder

Re: Line holder

Postby Jerry in SC » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:19 am

Adam, consider closed cell polyethylene.....the 6 pound density is used for archery targets.
Jerry in SC

Postby Adam Trahan » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:43 am

I'm using the foam as a buffer against maring the finish of the blank and or creasing the cork or pine. I'm not familiar with foams other than Clark for surfboards and polyethylene for boogie boards.

Should I just source the foam in your description from a foam plastics supply?

I was going to just look around for the type I've seen used in some form fitting packaging and then cut it out with a jewler type coping saw. I may simply line the axle hole with felt or something if I can't source the foam...

Thanks for the suggestion though, really cool.
Adam Trahan

Postby Jerry in SC » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:30 pm

The 6 pound would be very close to the density of the foam used for Boogies. The supply houses have minimums that are cost prohibitive for a small project. I'd look at craft shops, Hobby Lobby has dense closed cell foam in the Christmas section that could be used as lining for a spool.
Jerry in SC

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:02 pm

Finally here...
We finally received our shipment of tenkara line holders. These are cool spools that make it a breeze to wind the line around, and even serve as fly holders.
http://www.tenkarausa.com/product_info. ... ucts_id/68
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby CM_Stewart » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:38 am

Woo hoo! I've been waiting patiently since I saw Dr. Ishigaki's in the Catskills. The advantage this has over the other solutions is that you can easily slip it in your pocket when you're not using it, and when you move from one spot to another, you can hook your fly in one of the notches, wind your tippet and line around the spool, and then slide the spool down over the collapsed rod (notch side toward the grip). The notches seem to keep the line from unwinding while you walk.
CM_Stewart

Postby Adam Trahan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm

...and I've called 3 times to Tenkarausa today to buy a couple, no one home.

:oops:

Still working on my own.
Adam Trahan

Postby rsetina » Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:30 pm

I ordered mine last night over the Internet and it's on it's way already. Bought some for my wife too.
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Postby grampa » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:00 pm

One ordered for each rod this morning......along with a sampling of "real" tenkara flies. It's always easier for me to tie a fly when I can see a model in real life!
grampa

Postby Adam Trahan » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:11 am

I got a hold of Daniel today. What a nice guy, and knowledgable. We spoke a little of the "actions" of rods. A rod that has tip flex can be slow just like a rod that has a full flex can be fast. I am about to order a Iwana to step down and am concerned with the speed of the rod. Now that I know Daniel knows how I use words to describe a rod, I am good understanding the common knowledge that I have of the Ebisu we decided together.

Anyway, when people are good at what they do, I feel kudos are in order, especially if they are kind about it as well.

Thanks for the spools Daniel.
Adam Trahan

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Thanks Adam. It's easier when you do what you love!
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to Tenkara Line Holders