Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

A 3D printed tenkara line holder

A 3D printed tenkara line holder

Postby mhackney » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:14 pm

Hey folks, while helping in the TenkaraUSA booth at the Marlboro, MA Fly Fishing Expo this past weekend, the topic turned to line holders. I like the blue holders but it would be nice if they came in different colors so you could identify different lines by color. I also would prefer my holders to be a little smaller so they are less likely to snag in the New England underbrush. So, I designed and printed a tenkara line holder!

I published the files on Thingiverse so anyone with a 3D printer can download them and print their own! I printed mine in PLA - a renewable plastic made form corn starch that is biodegradable. I am printing a set in different colors for the 30-odd furled lines I have.

cheers,
Michael
mhackney

Re: A 3D printed tenkara line holder

Postby Rob Gonzalez » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:50 pm

Very cool Michael! Great idea.
Rob Gonzalez
Tenkara Texas Facebook Group
Hane | Sato | Rhodo | Iwana 12' | Iwana 9'-3"
Rob Gonzalez

Postby Jason Klass » Wed Jan 22, 2014 7:59 pm

Love it! How much did it cost to print it out?
My blog: Tenkara Talk

Tenkara USA Rods: Amago, Ayu, Ayu Series II, Ebisu, Ito, Iwana 11', Iwana 12', Rhodo, Sato, Yamame.
Jason Klass

Postby mhackney » Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:04 pm

Jason, the plastic is really inexpensive. I estimate about 5 cents of material for this.

What's cool, with injection molded materials, the part is solid. With 3D printing you can choose how much "fill" is inside the part. This cuts down materials and results in a lighter weight item. This line holder was printed with a 20% hexagonal infill. The inside looks like a honey comb.

I am printing these in red, blue, green, yellow, purple, white, and black. PLA is translucent so the holders look really cool.
mhackney

Postby tsegelke » Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:48 pm

That looks pretty cool.

Could you also print on the a size (short, Med, and Long)? I usually carry an 11', 13' and 15' line. That would make it easy to identify length and color would identify weight of level line.
tsegelke

Postby mhackney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 6:47 am

Yes, it is very easy to add text. What folks in the 3D printing community usually do is print incised and then color it with a little paint. That makes it much easier to read.
mhackney

Postby farmer » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:38 am

Wow. This is really cool. I predict 3D printers are going to revolutionize industry as we know it. They will create far reaching economic, social and technological innovations in our world. IMHO this is "the next big thing"! Thanks for sharing this.
farmer

Postby mhackney » Thu Jan 23, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks!

This is a little off topic, but I have also printed a completely plastic working fly fishing (dare I say it) reel! It was picked up by one of the big 3D industry web sites yesterday: 3D Printed Fly Fishing Reel

cheers,
Micael
mhackney

Postby troutrageous1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:59 am

Pretty neat. 3D printing is really going to create a huge shift in the way things are sold and serviced the future. Maybe not 5 years from now, but perhaps 10 or 15. Just think about how shopping trends have changed in since 1999. Working in e-commerce, I'm excited, but a bit frightened at the same time.

The line holder is a really great idea. I'd imagine you could print a bunch of those rod tip plugs that tend to disappear. That was a problem prior to the new generation of rods.
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Postby troutrageous1 » Thu Jan 23, 2014 11:01 am

mhackney wrote:Thanks!

This is a little off topic, but I have also printed a completely plastic working fly fishing (dare I say it) reel! It was picked up by one of the big 3D industry web sites yesterday: 3D Printed Fly Fishing Reel

cheers,
Micael

That's sweet. Out of curiosity, how long does it take to "print" something the size of the reel?
Mike Agneta
troutrageous.com
Tenkara Florida Facebook Group
Ayu II | Ebisu | Iwana 11' | Rhodo | Sato
troutrageous1

Next

Return to Tenkara Line Holders