Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

multi-purpose tippet ~ line ~ fly box

Re: multi-purpose tippet ~ line ~ fly box

Postby Adam Trahan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:05 pm

No, not CRAP, it's a great piece of equipment...

:D

Pay close attention when you load it up. Read the instructions. The spools have to be placed in the device where the tippet comes off at alternating sides of the spool least you unwind all the spools when pulling. Don't make that mistake.

That little thing, you are going to love it, I promise.

I have one other tool that I use, just as much, if not more.

C&F DESIGNS 3-IN-1 NAIL KNOT TOOL

This one hangs on a piece of fly line around my neck for picking out wind knots, the end has a tiny magnet on it for flys, the tube for a nail knot. I use this everytime I go fishing. The picture is almost to scale, it is petite. I find it every bit as useful as the tippet dispenser.

I only carry two other devices, actually three. One is a haemostat, a specialized one from eye surgery instrumentation. You certainly don't need to be that specialized, a good pair is necessary though.

The other is a bottle of floatant with an integrated petite fly patch.

I try to marry a couple of things together to keep the clutter way down. I started off with a vest, pitched it for a chest pack, chucked it for a brook bag which I use to carry all my kit. When I am on a stream that I know what's up, a small compartment Wheatley fly box, the tippet box, the needle and nipper round the neck, a stat clipped on my shirt and the little bottle/fly patch clipped to my pocket, that's it. Sometimes it's just the little Loop box though, couple of flys in there.

...and a bottle of something tucked in my waist band, taking a nap on the stream, miles from anyone in a grassy meadow after a couple of big swigs, wake up, "am I dreaming?" and fish all the way home.

Getting psyched for this weekend, new camera tool, a script for a short movie I'll do on Tenkara.

Hey, better get the php ready for video embedding...
Adam Trahan

Postby gentleshepherd » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:49 pm

It looks like the one from Bears Den has the tippet spools included, where the one from Compleat angler does not. Narcodog, you might still have the better deal.
GentleShepherd
穏やかな羊飼い
gentleshepherd

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:00 pm

Actually the one in Compleat Angler has the spools too, but it's a bit confusing as they say color coded spools are available separately:

"Delivered with four empty, refillable spools". Color-coded spools available separately. $15.95
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby Adam Trahan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:30 pm

You want the thing empty so you can load your own tippet material. Pretty much everyone I know has their own thing about tippet material. I like Varivas flourocarbon. I have it down to 10x and it is great handling and stable. Haven't had a bad batch yet.

Just remember what I said about loading it. If you load it wrong, it is a mess and you will hate the thing, load it right and it's an awesome piece of your kit. Line, tippet, flys and you are set.
Adam Trahan

Postby rsetina » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:07 pm

Yeah, I bought 2 @ $47. One for me and one for my wife. She's the one who looks for the deals on the internet. I should too, but I'm just too lazy I guess. :roll:
Rick

テンカラ。小さなストリームのシンプルさ。
My Tenkara Rods:
13' Ayu, 12' Yamame, 11' with a conversion handle, and an Ito.

My Wife's Tenkara Rods:
12' Ebisu and 13.5' Amago, 12' Iwana with a conversion handle, and an Ito.
rsetina

Previous

Return to Tenkara Line Holders