Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

tusa keeper

tusa keeper

Postby Bill_DeLanney » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:05 am

When using the Keeper for line management, after loading it on the rod how exactly do you unwrap it when you get to your site? Do you just let the line and fly lay on the ground or water as you unload the Keeper? What’s the best way?
Bill_DeLanney

Re: tusa keeper

Postby dwalker » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:05 pm

"how exactly do you unwrap it when you get to your site?"

If using mono-filament line, that has coil memory and the line needs to be stretched to remove / reduce the coil in the line, I usually just hold the line spool in the center, let it spin as I pull off 40 inches or so, stretch the line, then repeat the process till I get to the end of the line where the tippet is attached.

If using a line that does not have coil memory, such as furled line or fujino straight line, I just hold the spool (keeper) in the center letting it spin as I pull off all the line to the fly.

Daniel demonstrates the basic method in the keeper intro video:

https://youtu.be/l2XdPX1gzvY?t=93

"Do you just let the line and fly lay on the ground or water as you unload the Keeper? What’s the best way?"

I don' think there is a best way. Just personal preference, but use some awareness of what is below your feet.
As long as the ground is clear of twigs or other things that the line could become entangled in - I usually just let the line lay on the ground. Or on the water if wading. If the water is slow flowing.

Letting fluorocarbon mono-filament line fall onto the water is ok. I would prefer to not let furled line fall onto the water, where the braiding of the line will wick up water, thereby making the line heavier, making the line drape more making it harder to hold the line off the water surface or freeze ice into the line if fishing when it is very cold.

I often see in videos with Dr Ishigaki that he prefers to attach the line to the lillian, unwind a few feet of line off the spool, extent a couple of sections of the rod. Then repeat the cycle as many times as necessary until the rod is fully extended and the line is fully unwound off the spool. It is a method that keeps the line off the ground and off the water. I find that process cumbersome and do not use it. But it is a method that keeps the line off both the ground and the water.

Below is a link to a video of one of his tenkara classes a couple of years ago showing how he unwinds the line.
He seems to be having some trouble tying the slippery knot and attaching the line to the lillian. Note to that he mentions line coiling at the start of the video. Later you can see he does stretch the line that is easily reached to the end of the line, apparently not carrying about line coil near the tip of the rod, only removing the line coil at the far end, the tippet end. You can hear him say, harisu / the Japanese word for tippet. And he mentions "yabiki" for the length of the tippet / harisu. Yabiki means "an arrow pull" basically a length of tippet from out stretched arm to the opposite shoulder, for me that is about 1m / 40 inches.

https://youtu.be/4EiRkUesrnM?t=77

But mostly I think it doesn't matter. Just unwind the line off the line spool in the way that you prefer.

Good luck, find the method works best for you. Have fun. ;)
Tenkara is fundamental fishing fun
dwalker

Re: tusa keeper

Postby Bill_DeLanney » Tue Apr 23, 2019 6:24 am

Thank you very much. Very useful and clear. just wanted to make sure I wasn’t doing something wrong.
Bill_DeLanney

Return to Tenkara Line Holders