Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

On Japanese woods used for tamo making

On Japanese woods used for tamo making

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:31 am

Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Re: On Japanese woods used for tamo making

Postby tnitz » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:11 pm

Thanks, Daniel. It appears to me, if ever there were meaning to specific woods used for tamo, that tradition no longer dictates - the woods chosen seem to be based on more practical considerations today. Two of the evergreens have resins that provide rot resistance, and ash is a springy, strong wood. All I can think of for fir is that the branches are not alternating but opposite, which is what you are looking for for the hoop.
tnitz

Postby jayfisher » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:36 pm

Daniel,

Thanks for that link. Have you run across any amboyna that might be suitable for a tamo? I've only seen small pieces of amboyna used for reel handles and such and it's a beautiful wood. On the West Coast madrone sort of reminds me of amboyna. Since madrone is fairly common, do you think madrone would work as an amboyna substitute?

-Jack
jayfisher

Postby Daniel @ Tenkara USA » Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:57 am

The kaya is considered by far to be the best wood for making tamos, but it is very difficult to find the right branches. It's one of the most beautiful woods for tamos too because it's so slow growing that it gets very interesting features.
Today I visited a few tamo shops and they have mostly kaya nets. One of the shops refuses to carry nets made with other woods. However, other woods are a bit easier to find the branch and net makers often use other woods for their nets for that reason.

On Madrones, I have looked at a few madrone trees but haven't found a branch yet. It seems similar to the manzanita in that branches are very irregular and dont' have the symmetrical branches needed for tamos.
Daniel @ Tenkara USA
Site Admin

Postby tnitz » Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:28 am

Thanks, Daniel. The connection of kaya to tamo, then, appears to be strong as you've earlier suggested and I would guess that at one point there was meaning to this connection, especially since, as you note, it's difficult to find the right branches. Interesting, interesting.

(and I'm not overlooking the obvious, practical, connection, that as a cedar it has resins that prevent rot and its slow growth adds beauty)
tnitz

Return to Resources