Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Do Tenkara lines need backing?

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Do Tenkara lines need backing?

Postby AuFinch » Tue May 08, 2018 6:18 pm

Hello all! As it says in the title, I am wondering what the purpose of backing line is on a furled Tenkara line.

I am greener than green when it comes to Tenkara. I recently discovered it and have purchased an inexpensive rod to experiment with. Instead of purchasing a furled line, I have some braided polypropylene line leftover from a job I would like to use.

In my brief research, the large majority of furled lines I found had a small piece of backing. But I keep scratching my head about it. I have used backing in reels but mainly as filler for the spool. On rare occasions I see it, and I am always thankful to have it when it shows up. But none of the reasons I use backing seem to apply to Tenkara.

My best guess is that it offers a more secure anchor for the line. I was planning on some experiments, but seeing it everywhere makes me feel like I shouldn't skip it. There must be a good reason, given they pretty much all have backing. Yet finding a record of that reason has eluded me.

What is the purpose of backing on Tenkara rods? Is it needed? Also, can I use twisted nylon as backing?
AuFinch

Re: Do Tenkara lines need backing?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 09, 2018 8:07 am

Hi AuFinch,

if you are meaning the small loop of material that is connected to some tenkara lines, like our furled tapered line, that is used to make the connection to the tip of the tenkara rod. So it is not backing in the sense of western fly line rigs... but just how you connect the line to the rod.

This small loop, about 1.5 to 2" in diameter, is to make a girth hitch out of and you slip that girth hitch over the lilian on the tip of your tenkara rod, then cinch that down.

Opposite end connect 3' to 4' of 5X tippet, then your fly. You are now rigged.

Regards
TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Re: Do Tenkara lines need backing?

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Wed May 09, 2018 8:16 am

Check out this link.

http://www.tenkarausa.com/learn-tenkara/

Goo place to start.

Shows the girth hitch connection down in the knots section of the page.

TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Lines