Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Rookie question about line...

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Rookie question about line...

Postby Belizaire » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:22 pm

Experienced fisherman here but Tenkara Rookie... waiting on delivery of first Tenkara Rod... Sato... in kit from Orvis with Tenkara USA high vis 4.5 level line... and 5X tippet. I'll be starting out in the San Antonio, TX area fishing small "hill country" rivers for panfish and small bass. Is this a good line to start with, or should I order something lighter from Tenkara USA? Also, what length line and tippet would be a good starting point?

The kit also comes with a few Tenkara flies. At Orvis, I bought a small fly box with 10 flies that the local shop manager recommended for the above mentioned fish in these local rivers.

Thanks for any advice...
Belizaire

Re: Rookie question about line...

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:17 am

Hi Belizaire, the kit from Orvis should actually come with an 11'6" to 14'9" nylon tapered line, not level. So the tapered line that comes with the set is a fine choice to start with. If you get the longer 14'9" line in your kit, cut off 2 feet or so from the skinny end so the line is just about the length of the Sato fully opened. So say about 13' or so. Then tie 3' to maybe 4' of 5X tippet to the end of the line, and then your fly. That right there is a rig ready to fish with.

Regards
TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Postby Belizaire » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:17 pm

OK TJ... I have received my Sato kit from Orvis. It was shipped with your 11'6" orange tapered nylon line. I will start with this and 3-4 feet of 5X tippet. I want to order another line from you so I'll have backup or perhaps for different conditions. What would you suggest? ...a spool of level line or maybe the tapered traditional line. (length?) Thanks
Belizaire

Postby TJ @ Tenkara USA » Fri Apr 06, 2018 8:14 am

Belizaire wrote:OK TJ... I have received my Sato kit from Orvis. It was shipped with your 11'6" orange tapered nylon line. I will start with this and 3-4 feet of 5X tippet. I want to order another line from you so I'll have backup or perhaps for different conditions. What would you suggest? ...a spool of level line or maybe the tapered traditional line. (length?) Thanks

Hi Belizaire,

I would try some 4.5 Level Line. You can get creative with it and cut unique lengths needed for your own conditions... about 60' on a roll so you cut off what you need.

That is what I personally would try since you already have a tapered line.

Regards
TJ
Tenkara USA, Director of Customer Service

Tenkara Junkie - Tenkarajankī
Now sporting all of the Tenkara USA Rods!
TJ @ Tenkara USA

Return to Tenkara Lines