Sign In | Sign Up to Shop/Forum

Easy Line Coil Set Removal With Out Stretching The Line

Discussion of tenkara lines, tippets, etc...

Easy Line Coil Set Removal With Out Stretching The Line

Postby Karl Klavon » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:24 pm

One of the most often voiced complaints about fishing with Level Fluorocarbon Lines is the difficulty involved and the time required to stretch the on the spool coil set these and other lines tend to develop. Well I remembered an old leader straightening technique the other day and tested it out on both Floating PVC and sinking HiVis FC level Tenkara Lines and it worked wonderfully. I believe it will also straighten out Furled Lines as well, but I will let you test that out for yourselves, those of you who prefer to fish with furled lines.

The easiest and quickest way to do this procedure is to find a comfortable place to sit down, so that your lower and upper legs form a 90 degree angle at your knees. Then take a shoulder-width or so length of line between each hand and pull it back-and-forth over the front of your pant legs, just below your knees for 5-times fairly rapidly and with a little pressure, over lapping each to be treated section of line slightly as you work your way on down the line to be sure that you do not miss any line sections, and do not forget the Tippet as well if its already on your line. And that's all there is to it, quick and easy enough.

I tried it with both Nylon Fishing Pants and Cotton Levis on and both worked fine, but I didn't test it out on waders as I don't use them. So someone else will have to give that a try and report back on your success with all various types and styles of waders. I hope this tip makes all of your lives a little more pleasant and easier...Karl
Karl Klavon

Re: Easy Line Coil Set Removal With Out Stretching The Line

Postby Karl Klavon » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:48 am

Up-Date: This will not work with a collar-less shirt like a T-shirt but, I have found that its easier and faster to run the lime over the back of your neck by alternately pulling on a section of line, first with one hand, and then the other for about 10 cycles or until you feel the line friction heat building up on the back of your neck. Then move on to the next line section until the whole line is covered in overlapping sections. Plus, you do not need to find a place to sitdown with this technique.
Karl Klavon

Return to Tenkara Lines